Thinking about making the switch...

cpeck

• Members

Right now I have a fairly small pedalboard and a fairly large mass of unused pedals sitting in my loft. The reason for this is because I am a singer in my band, and I just cannot 'tap dance' efficiently. I like to use combinations of effects, and this is proving to be difficult. I am aware of Looopers and all of that, but I'm very intrigued by the GCX audio switcher and Ground Control Pro. I'm a total n00b to racks, but I know that rackmounting pedals is an option...I'd like to look into some rack gear as well.

Can someone outline basic rack costs and pieces for me?

I have a Marshall 6100LM head and Vox AC-30 I'd like to use with this...

Thanks!

• Members

it's a nice plan ;) i play lead guitars in my band, and if i have to do backing vocals and jump around like a pig at the same time, i don't have the time to tap-dance as well... I'd rather concentrate on the playing and jumping around part of the game :p

i don't know how cheap you can get the GCX and Ground Control Pro, but here in denmark i would have to pay around $1800 for a GCX and Ground Control Pro, and about the same for a TC Electronics G-System, so i went with the G-System. It's absolutely fabulous for switching between my old analog pre's, shifting channels etc, but then again -- i don't know how many pedals you plan on using in the system, and how much you feel like relying on one multieffect to do the rest of the job..? (it's pro though:blah:)

• Members

It's not worth buying the GCX and Ground Control Pro used. They go for $400 new and unless you can find one of them at a shop for a stupid deal like I found mine ($150 for GCP) you won't find one used for less than $300.

Between the two of them you it will cost about $800 for it.

You can AB switch the 2 amps easily. You can put effects in front of the amps or loops of the amp. (I assume the Marshall has a loop) You could also run a multi-effects processor in the loop of the amp in addition to the pedals you have. Say you're using delay/reverb on you dirty sound reverb/delay in front of the amp sound bad.

The drawback with that is unless your vox has an effects loop as well you will have to have a second effects processor infront of the amp. Or the other option is to use a single effects processor in front of both amps and just not use reverb/delay on your dirty.

Archived