My Engl power amp broke :( Seems it's the output tnansformer

• Members

Hi,

My Engl power amp has broken and I'm afraid it's now the output transformer. Before I take it to the tech (the amp's fairly heavy) I need to be sure I understand the problem.

Well, one channel was too quiet. The second was fine. I decided to check the amp with a scope. The loud channel behaved really fine. The quiet one, er... when I turned the amp on and opened a bit the volume knob, the signal shape was still a correct sinusoid. Ok. But when the volume was about to give the nominal burden, the signal shape was growing as appropriate and then it suddenly fell down and became broken-polygonal.

After that phenomenon, I started to measure the voltage, stage by stage, by comparing the weak channel with the fine one. The preamp stage was pretty nice. I found it was shared between the two channels and the nominal voltage (about 18 volts) went to grids of the EL84 pentodes in both channels. That was clear. But then the things went kind of odd.

When the voltage given on the pentodes

• Members

Thank you, I went to the tech and leanrd the charge. It is betwen $50 and $100 depending on the nessesserity of transformer rewinding. I can't reel transformers. :( I have a VHT 2902 and peavey 50/50, but the Engl has so beautiful tone, just sings. If it had some more wattage, like 2902, it would be the best power amp for me, really.

Archived