Mesa 20/20 power amp

• Members

I'm looking at starting up my own rack system. I am looking for around 50watts of tube power. My question is, is the mesa 20/20 as loud as a 20watt amp or a 40watt amp since you have to use both channels at once.

The other amps I am looking at is the VHT 2/50/2 and the Mesa 2:50. Any other recommendations would be nice.

p.s. do you use the same instrument cables to hook up rack gear as you would from your guitar to a traditional amp?

• Members

When you play out are you using two 412's? If not go with the 20/20, it's lighter and only one rack space. I have two of them and they are great sounding power amps. They do however do not equal the output of a VHT 2/50/2, but the 20/20 does get plenty loud. Typically I run the volume on 3 or 4 on each channel and can be easily heard over the drummer, even when he is pounding the skins.

TheGrooveking

• Members

Check if it is possible to use your future 2x12 cab as a stereo cab. If not, you can get only 20 whatt on output, unless the mesa 20/20 can bridge two channels to get one mono 40w channel. My cheapest Peavey 50/50 can. I love that peace of gear, despite I have a vht 2902 and a marshall el 84 20/20.

• Members

I have a Marshall 2x12. There's only one connect for the cable in it. So if I wanted to make a stereo of my one, I would need to drill one more hole for a jack. Which could mean damaging the cab.

i'd see that as an improvement rather than damage...

Anyways - isn't it possible to get those "rear-plates" for cab's, pre-drilled and everything, ready to install? If so, it would be possible to install one of those instead of the existing one, without making the cab look modified.

• Members

Alright thanks, it sounds like the 20/20 is what i would want. I only plan on getting a 2x12 cab.

So when a rack power amp is used you can add the wattage of each channel together to get an idea of how loud it will be?

Pic079.jpg

Hey elchico04,

I own & use the Mesa Boogie Dynawatt 20/20 power amp and I use mine with a Peavey 2x12MS stereo guitar cabinet. It has an output of 22 watts per side. You can't sum the outputs to mono. The power amp is not designed for that. If you want to use just one side of the power amp, you'll have to turn the volume knob all the way down on the side you're not using.

Guitar George

• Members

i've used a 20/20 for years and its a great little poweramp - easily loud enough for gigs

if your 2x12 only has one jack input, then just buy a new backplate for it with two inputs. if you want to run in stereo, then all you need to do is get rid of the wires bridging the two inputs so each speaker has it's own discrete signal path. i did this with the marshall 2x12 i have and it sounds great.

sim

• Members

If you know a little a electronics rewiring a 2x12 for stereo is trivial. I think it took about five minutes to do mine... Literally....

The 20/20 is not bridgeable and both sides must be loaded. So you need dual mono cabs or a stereo cab with the correct load for speakers. I dunno off hand what impedance cabs it drives, but since it's a mesa, I bet it has a switch for more than one. ;)

• Members

If you know a little a electronics rewiring a 2x12 for stereo is trivial. I think it took about five minutes to do mine... Literally....

The 20/20 is not bridgeable and
both sides must be loaded
. So you need dual mono cabs or a stereo cab with the correct load for speakers. I dunno off hand what impedance cabs it drives, but since it's a mesa, I bet it has a switch for more than one.
;)

So...either you hook dual mono cabs or a single stereo?

No way around this??? :eek:

Cant you just load one side and leave the other one free?

• Members

Mesa Boogie clarified it to me that as long as the "unused" channel is NOT receiving a signal, the PRESENCE was turned all the way UP, and the VOLUME all the way DOWN...then no harm would be done.

If you are using the slave out, then the speaker jack needs to have a load on it.

If you are using the amp in stereo with dual cabinets...then the loads should be similar...don't use one 16 ohm cabinet and one 4 ohm cabinet.

• Members

Mesa Boogie clarified it to me that as long as the "unused" channel is NOT receiving a signal, the PRESENCE was turned all the way UP, and the VOLUME all the way DOWN...then no harm would be done.

Cool. Sounds like I was mistaken. I could have sworn that was the case based on the research I did when I was gonna buy one, but if you got it straight from the manufacturer, then I stand corrected. :thu:

• Members

i thought the same as you did until i called their service center and had them clarify it. the manual is a little misleading...it really depends on "if" you are sending signal to both sides or not.

the statement about using similar loads for each side is what confused me...made me think each side HAD to be loaded regardless...which again they clarified...each side only needs to be loaded "IF" signal is being sent to both sides...then each side should have a similar load (16, 8, 4 ohm, etc).

if i'm not mistaken, they worded it a little differently in the manual for the 2:90...so maybe check that out as well?

Archived