Solid State Rack Power amps - recommendations/suggestions sought

• Members

have just solda marshall 9200 dual monoblock (5881) for a friend of mine who is downgrading his rig. the 9200 was simply too brutal for home only use.

anways he wants to keep his digitech gsp2100(or something) preamp and is asking me to find him a solid state power amp(pref low power)

hes willing to spend up to $500AUS

any suggestions of brands/models as im not to familiar with solid state power amps. ive heard of "crown" but thats about it.

i sugeested an option to him to just find a head/combo and connect his rig up like this :

guitar into digitech preamp input

digitech preamp out into head/combo fx return

only problem i can think of is that the preamp will most likely be +4db line level and the head/combos fx loop will be -10db...but a DI box connected inbetween set to pad the signal down should do the trick.

anyways i got off topic...

suggestions on rack solid state power amps please

• Members

rocktron velocity,

can be had for around 150 on the bay

mosvalve tubeworks stuff can be had on the bay for 150 bucks

ada stuff on the bay for 200 bucks

or

digitech g-150 which was made for digitech by Hafler. i saw one locally for 350. looked like it was still new.....

any of those would work fine. and keep him happy at low and high volumes

• Members

+1 for Mosvalve. The MV-982 or MV-962 or the 11xx are all really excellent SS guitar power amps.

I have an ADA Microtube 200, it's a hybrid design with a pair of 12AX7 input tubes. I really like it a lot, too. If your buddy happens upon one of those or the 100 for a decent price, I wouldn't hesitate snagging one.

Your idea regarding the head is a really good one, too. He could go with Crate (The powerblock would be an excellent choice), Ampeg, Marshall, Randall, Peavey, any of the usual suspects.

• Members

I think that your friend is going to be very disappointed playing a 2120 through a solid state amp after owning a Marshall 9200. Your idea of using a head/combo amp will work fine as I've done it many times with my 2120. Just make sure to get an all tube amp because a solid state amp will make the 2120 sound too brittle.

• Members

i have the 2120 digitech unit and i run it into a mosvalve 1160. I think it sounds very organic and i dont find the fan to be too loud. you can always replace those fans, all they are is a computer fan. just buy a nice one with ball bearings, it will be quiet enough.

your friend might not be happy going to SS after having tubes? Personal choice. if you want bedroom level you have to go that route....

i am happy with the sound, it can get very loud but i play it on 1 in stereo and it is fine for bedroom volumes IMO, my wife still says its too loud, but what the hell does she know....

• Members

I currently use a Rocktron Velocity 120 (60w+60w) and am happy with it, but I don't have to drown out a loud drummer. :) I like the Presence control this particular model has. I bought it used, and have had no problems with it.

For a couple of months I used one of my PA rig's monitor amps, an old Crown PowerBase-1. The Crown has a HUGE iron transformer in the power supply, and it will lay down a giant CHUNK tone when you palm mute rhythm chords. It sounded *great*, but you have to be careful about the power output.

SO yes, PA type solid state power amps work just fine in guitar rigs, just watch how much power you're feeding your speakers. In some cases the speaker output connectors will need a 1/4" adapter, but that's no big deal.

Archived