Rack Wah

• Members

At the moment I'm still using a pedal board with only a volume and wah pedal on it. I'd like to be able to put everything into my rack including both of those though I can live without a volume pedal.

What I really need to find is a rack wah or something I can use at such that allows midi continuous control.

I would prefer to find this in a general effects processor so I can replace the Lexicon I already have.

• Members

It's certainly possible. I'm using two of these in my rack at the moment.

ViscountEFX-10.jpg

The first one sits in front of the amp and works purely as a wah. I have it in a switchable loop on my Laney Babelswitch to take it in and out of the signal path but have also had it working nicely using a non-latching footswitch to put it on bypass or not.

Cost me

• Members

At the moment I'm still using a pedal board with only a volume and wah pedal on it. I'd like to be able to put everything into my rack including both of those though I can live without a volume pedal.

What I really need to find is a rack wah or something I can use at such that allows midi continuous control.

I would prefer to find this in a general effects processor so I can replace the Lexicon I already have.

;) once again, i feel obliged to point in the direction of the G-System, as it features a pre/post effects setup possibility.

there are two effect blocks, one with comp, pitch, wah and filter-stuff, and one with all the rest.. mod, delay, reverb etc...

Between the two blocks there are 5 programmable loops you can use for preamps, drive pedals etc.

This is as far as i am aware the only effect processor i know of, that will let you use your effects in the "right place" (wah etc. before drive - mod, delay, reverb etc after...) without having to use some crappy internal distortion/preamp modeling-thingie...

• Members

I like wah post-gain. Gives you a more effected wah sound.

Listen to Tom Morello, all of his effects are post-gain.

I know the Lexicon MPX-G2 has a wah effect and will work using program changes though it isn't designed to do so. Are there any issues with using a different foot controller with it?

I've heard there's an audible delay in response to an expression pedal but I don't know if it's true.

Money is really no problem.

I've heard the Eventide Eclipse and TC G-Force have wah sounds. Do any users know if they're any good?

I know I could do this if I added a Line 6 Filter Pro to my rack but I'd rather not add another item to my rack.

• Members

The other guitarist in my last band had a Lexicon MPX G2 and his wah sound was excellent.

I have a Zoom 9150 unit that has a wah setting in the eq module but I've never tried it out yet. It does have two effect loops one of which is programmable in terms of its send and return points which in theory means you could insert another pre amp before wah if you so desired.

• Members

If you're looking for the real deal, you're looking for a model DCR-25R. This is a true rack mounted wah with a control voltage input for real time time remote control. Unfortunately they are really hard to find. How hard? I've had that search on my ebay searches for so long, I can't remember who the manufacturer is. But like a Boss EV-10, if one shows up, I'll pay just about anything to get one. I think there is another manufacturer that may have made a real rack mounted wah, but I couldn't say for sure. Good Luck!

• Members

If you're looking for the real deal, you're looking for a model DCR-25R. This is a true rack mounted wah with a control voltage input for real time time remote control. Unfortunately they are really hard to find. How hard? I've had that search on my ebay searches for so long, I can't remember who the manufacturer is. But like a Boss EV-10, if one shows up, I'll pay just about anything to get one. I think there is another manufacturer that may have made a real rack mounted wah, but I couldn't say for sure. Good Luck!

It's Dunlop and the model is DCR-2SR (just in case you've got an ebay search looking for DCR-25R and missing out).

The FX Doctor has been known to make 1U rack wahs as well.

EMB Audio used to make some (as used by Kirk Hammett) but forumite 4nkam has managed to appropriate the entire planet's supply of those somehow. ;)

• Members

Dunlop is still making their rack wah. It's right here in their webshop filed under custom shop electronics:

http://store.jimdunlop.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=28&osCsid=0c545d6fddbac5c9c04b33023ea10871

it's $600 without the controller pedal

UPDATE:

my order would look like this :S it's quite alot to pay for a wah, i think, but i'm gonna do it sometime :D

1 x DCR-2SR Crybaby Rack Module

1 x DCR-1FC Crybaby Rack Foot Controller

1 x ECB007EU AC Adapter

$751.94

• Members

Dunlop is still making their rack wah. It's right here in their webshop filed under custom shop electronics:

it's $600 without the controller pedal

UPDATE:

my order would look like this :S it's quite alot to pay for a wah, i think, but i'm gonna do it sometime

1 x DCR-2SR Crybaby Rack Module

1 x DCR-1FC Crybaby Rack Foot Controller

1 x ECB007EU AC Adapter

$751.94

Unless your running 2 pedals in two spots on the stage it comes with 1 controller and the power supply.

from the website

Included with the DCR-2SR: One DCR-1FC foot controller and One ECB-007 24-volt AC Adapter

• Members

Plug for the G2, alrighty.

Only qualification I'll add to that is that he was using the Lexicon R1 foot controller with it as his midi pedal. I don't know if that had dedicated functionality to use with the MPX G2 wah effect or whether it was just straight midi cc commands. Without looking up a manual or having definite knowledge I would suspect that straight midi cc commands would still work.

• Members

The thing I don't like about conventional rack wahs is that they're not midi continuous. It has to have it's own specialized controller which would be kind of a pain.

Anyone with Eventide or TC experience?

As far as TC experience goes, it seems like i happen to be the G-System-troll around here lately. But seriously - if you want one thingie, that does it all, i really think that's the one for you - easy to program, MIDI controllable and everything.

I'm really happy with mine, and i have yet to come across a unit as versatile and good sounding as this baby...

• Members

What I know:

The problem with the G-System is that I'd have to have a standard lug around pedal board. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to use what I already have to go with it.

I'd have to totally rebuild my setup, and it's expensive.

I like the setup speed of having a midi controller and expression pedal that I just throw down where ever it needs to be loose. All phantom powered, a midi cable, a stereo cable for the expression and I'm done.

• Members

The thing I don't like about conventional rack wahs is that they're not midi continuous. It has to have it's own specialized controller which would be kind of a pain.

Anyone with Eventide or TC experience?

I used to use the wah in my g-system all the time. I rather liked it, and enjoyed the fact that I could have patches for both normal and "bass" wah (which I use for some 7 string rhythm stuff). It didn't sound as good as my silver machine, but it was comparable to a crybaby.

The thing is, the g-system puts the wah in front of the amp, so I'm not sure how a g-force wah would sound in the loop. My suggestion is to put a crybaby in your amps loop. If you like it, you could get very similar results with the g-force or g-major.

I'll be getting my axe-fx ultra soon, which has a much better routing scheme so I can put the wah in front or behind, or wherever. The thing is though, I use a fuzz pedal anyway (zvex FF), and fuzz pedals do not sound the same if they are not first in the signal chain. So since I'm using one pedal, having a wah on my pedalboard next to my midi controller is no big deal for me, hence I'll continue to use the silver machine.

-W

• Members

What I know:

The problem with the G-System is that I'd have to have a standard lug around pedal board. Not to mention I wouldn't be able to use what I already have to go with it.

I'd have to totally rebuild my setup, and it's expensive.

I like the setup speed of having a midi controller and expression pedal that I just throw down where ever it needs to be loose. All phantom powered, a midi cable, a stereo cable for the expression and I'm done.

how is that? - i'm just curious ;)

What parts of your system is it that you can't use the G-System with?

the fx-part of the G-System is rack mountable, and the board part of it is phantom powered by the fx-part. It sends midi messages as well, and is easy to program on the fly.

I agree it's quite expensive, but compared to all the dough i've been spending on pre's, poweramp, cabs and guitars, i think it's worth every penny!:blah:

It's not like i'm trying to talk you into anything here mate, i'm just plain curious ;)

• Members

Supposedly you could do it with the old Dunlop 1SR rackwah. I had a kenton pro solo which (in theory) should be able to control my 2SR but I never was able to get it up and running. But I think the 1SR was a bit different when it came to that area and dunlop has said it was possible...but I could never get a straight/same answer from them.

EMB Audio used to make some (as used by Kirk Hammett) but forumite 4nkam has managed to appropriate the entire planet's supply of those somehow.

There's still one more that I know of but the guy isn't selling it just yet :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

can this not be achieved by just using an expression pedal with any effects processor that has EQ and resonance filtering? couldnt you just set the town up to be bassy while toe down be treble and then customize how you like it?

I'm looking to do that same thing...but I just dont know if my idea will work...if it will I think i'm just going that route? anyone know?

• Members

There's only 2 ways (to my knowledge) to do that and only one of them is common.

1. Some processors allow you to pan between presets. (This is the less common)

2. You'd have to find the control change message that adjusts the frequency of the filter. (If this is possible)

Archived