Rocktron 300G, 300A etc... Zachman??

dpm

• Members

This one is probably more for Zachman, but please chime in anyone else who can help.

I've found myself hooked on a Rocktron 300G that I picked up on a whim. I really didn't expect to find this unit useful! Anyways, I want to get a spare just in case this one dies or something. There's a couple of 300A's around, which seem to have slightly different ranges to the compression knobs. Apart from that how do the two units differ? How about the 360? Seems to be a 2 channel 300 from what I can tell.

• Members

This one is probably more for Zachman, but please chime in anyone else who can help.

I've found myself hooked on a Rocktron 300G that I picked up on a whim. I really didn't expect to find this unit useful! Anyways, I want to get a spare just in case this one dies or something. There's a couple of 300A's around, which seem to have slightly different ranges to the compression knobs. Apart from that how do the two units differ? How about the 360? Seems to be a 2 channel 300 from what I can tell.

I don't know how they differ, sorry... I wish I could be more helpful. I have a 300G and LOVE it. It is very musical sounding to my ears. I use mine in my guitar rack, as opposed to in a recording rig, and think it is voiced especially nicely for the guitar. DBX compressors are fantastic too. I used to have a DBX 160X and dug it's tone, but the interface was weird. The DBX 166 and 266 are also considerations as other rack compressors.

• Members

That's cool. They're mysterious little things. The DBX units have been in my mind as well, though I haven't had a chance to A/B one of them to the Rocktron. How would you say the DBX sound compares to the 300G? Like you I LOVE this thing, but if the 166 or 266 is equivalent I might aim for that.

BTW I'm simply running it.... guitar -> OD -> 300G -> amp

Experimenting a little with side chain EQ too, which is kind of cool for manipulating pick attack.

• Members

That's cool. They're mysterious little things. The DBX units have been in my mind as well, though I haven't had a chance to A/B one of them to the Rocktron. How would you say the DBX sound compares to the 300G? Like you I LOVE this thing, but if the 166 or 266 is equivalent I might aim for that.

The DBX is sort of the industry Standard, and gets "that" sound. They're better. I got my 300G for free, so I use it, and really do like it, but the DBX wins, IMO. I don't run a typical setup, so my routing configuration wouldn't be useful to you, I fear, but as long as it's doing what you want, then PERFECT.

You can see mine here, 3rd from the top fuzzy pic, I know.

Picture%20131.jpg

here is a gutted rack version but you can see it clearly. pay no attention to the settings, they are WAY off in the pic

Picture%20005.jpg

• Members

One last question... from what I can tell the input impedance of the DBX gear (25kOhm) wouldn't be too friendly to a passive guitar signal. I assume running an OD pedal with a buffered bypass in front would fix the impedance issue? What about level?

BTW, I appreciate your help :cool:

• Members

One last question... from what I can tell the input impedance of the DBX gear (25kOhm) wouldn't be too friendly to a passive guitar signal. I assume running an OD pedal with a buffered bypass in front would fix the impedance issue? What about level?

BTW, I appreciate your help
:cool:

You are correct, though a level shifting circuit can do the trick as well, but ideally you'd want to use it in a stereo, W/D or W/D/W scenario, not in front of the amp, rather in the loop of the amp (assuming a series loop), or preamp out or a line out box, out to the compressor then to the loop return.

For compressor affect/effect, I use an MXR Dyna Comp and LOVE it. If I could only have one pedal that would be it. It LOVES being in front of the amp, and that is where I run mine, routed through the Custom Audio Electronics switcher (22 Loops). I use a series string of pedals that get routed in front of the amps, through the middle (DRY) cabinet, powered by the selected amp (1 of 4) through a Custom Audio Electronics Amp Switcher, and my processors are routed in parallel through a line mixer and go only through the L/R (WET) part of the system, powered by a separate stereo power amp. (3) cabs

I know, insanity has befallen me, but it does work magnificently well, and sound top notch.

My pleasure to help, no worries. When I was younger, I was fortunate enough to have some people take the time to help me, so this is my way of paying that forward.

• Members

OK, that's cool. It's something to look into anyway. You must have a lot of patience just programming your gear and figuring out how things interact best
:)

You know, I've been playing around with gear for over 25 years, and in the beginning things were confusing, but now that I understand what stuff does and how and why it works the way it does, it's pretty easy. Most stuff works the same way, re: adjusting parameters, it's just a matter of understanding certain units' way of doing things, that may differ a bit than others (ex. assigning MIDI maps, & CC programming). For the most part, different gear, pretty much, go about things the same way. The 2 units that I have that are different are: the Eventide and the Lexicon, other than those, it's pretty straight ahead.

I, when listening to guys (guitarists) and how they get their tones and effects dialed in, listen for subtle things that I never paid attention to before such as reverb types, room size, delays panning, rate of modulation, etc... then when I want to dial in something, it's just a matter of pulling up the effect I want, or combinations of effects that I want, and being aware of knowing what I want to accomplish, BEFORE diving in (WAY more efficient). That being said, I do enjoy exploring tones, separate and aside from playing my guitar, and I guess that is a good thing, because I know a lot of guys that don't.

Archived