Favorite Preamps owned/want to try

• Members

What are you favorite preamps THAT YOU'VE ACTUALLY OWNED.

I'm just curious about tastes here, I want to know about the ones you've owned because that way you've had time with them instead of hearing one, or testing one.

anyways here's mine.

Owned:

1. Langner DCP-1

2. Mesa Triaxis

3. ADA MP-1 3TM

4. Mesa Studio

5. Randall RGP1000

Want to try:

1. Egnater M4

2. CAE 3+

3. Hughes and Kettner Access

4. Duesentrieb Panther

5. Rocktron Prophesy II

• Members

Well, I'm just starting down the Rack Road and the JMP-1 is the only bit of rack gear I own ATM. Another preamp I will get is the Soldano SP-77.

I would like to try:

CAE 3+

Mesa Triaxis

Soldano X88R

:thu:

• Members

I still love my MP-1 3TM Ultra+ but I find myself using my Axe FX Ultra more and more.

I too would love to try a CAE 3+ but man are they expensive.
:(

I got one of those on the way (3TM), and sometime in February I will be picking up an Egnater M4 (maybe 2 of them).

:thu:

• Members

I've had an insane amount of preamps over the years...

The Egnater M4 ended my tone search entirely, so I don't run thru gear nearly as much as I used to.

The Langner DCP-1 was an awesome pre for hot rodded Marshall tones...but I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would whenever I play thru my Egnater.

Some I'd like to try, just because...

Rocktron Piranha (I know it won't be a keeper, but it's the one preamp I've never played thru)

Carvin Quad-X (I've had a couple of these over the years, all needed new tubes, but I didn't give 'em that chance, so I'd like to try one again with new tubes)

Mesa Studio (Had one many years ago, just can't remember the tone...)

Kitty Hawk Quattro (eh...why not...)

I've tried just about everything else; the only things that really excite me are Egnater modules that I don't already own...

• Members

Own/ed:

ADA MP-1 Classic

ADA MP-1 ver 2.0

ADA MP-2

Marshall JMP-1

Engater IE4

Engl 620

Rocktron Piranha

Sandamp PSA-1

Roland GP-100

Mesa/Boogie Studio (my favourite one)

Mesa/Boogie Quad (still on shipping)

Rocktron Voodu Valve

Digitech GSP 2101

Digitech GSP 2101 Artist

Yamaha SPX90

Boss SE-700

What I long to try:

Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp

Mesa/Boogie Rectifier V-Twin (Rackmound)

Soldano SP77

Peavey Rockmaster

Digitech GSP 1101

Engl 570/580

Behringer V-Verb Pro

• Members

own/ed:

Tubeworks Realtube II

Piranha

ProGAP

Peavey Rockmaster

Egnater M4

The Egnater M4 is it for me - no more thinking about pres. The rest are going bye-bye. Rockmaster was my favorite until the M4. RealTube II has a nice clean, works well with pedals in front.

• Members

It seems like a few of you guys really dig the Egnater M4. I just found out about that pre a little while ago. My first rack mount preamp is scheduled to arive tomorrow Its an ENGL E530.

I am thinking about getting the M4 with an EG5, and BMan for now, and adding more as I can aford it.

I have been searching for someone who has tried a few different power amps to give me some good avice from first hand experience. This is my first Rack, and for the power amp I went with a Carvin DCM150 single space power amp. I did this because I mostly play at lower volumes, and every tube amp that I have played at low volumes it is not so great unless you put an aditional volume controll in the fx loop to reduce the level to the power amp. A few people in the amp section have been telling me the it will sound bad, but I am not sure if they have tried different power amps side by side. I know that if you use the fx return of either of the amps that I have there is still some eq before it hits the power section. I know about what the specs are for the carvin so I can set my eq pedal to about the same, then I can get a sound similar to the power section of the MTS head using the DCM power amp, but the dual rec being a parallel fx loop sounds like crap unless I hook up a dummy load, and use the slave out to my power amp. I will be able to try the pre amp with power amp tomorrow. What I want to know is at lower volume levels is there a huge difference between a tube power amp, and a solid state one??

• Members

I had a Carvin DCM150 at one time, it was ok for some stuff.

Lacks tube tone and feel, but it'll work...there is a pretty significant difference, yes.

You know, I've had several Engl preamps; including the 520, 620, and 530...as well as the Powerball (which is an AWESOME head) and a Savage 120 (also awesome).

Engl is one of my favorites outside of Egnater; incredible tones across the spectrum, but I found the 530 hard to get a great warm tone out of.

It was very metallic and lacked...warmth for a better word.

• Members

The pic shows most of what I have, I still want to check out a CAE 3+, VHT Valvulator G3, and Langner.

OH and the DCM150 works great for the wet stereo stuff in a small W/D/W rig.

TheGrooveking

QuikLokRS954s.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Holy rack batman!!!!!!!

That is one massive rack!!!!!! I would post a pic of mine, but so far it is just an ENGL E530, and Carvin DCM150. Nothing too impressive, but once I swaped out the stock ENGL tubes for JJs the sound out of that preamp is pretty good!!! And the best part is that with the solid state power amp it sounds good at low volume levels. :thu:

• Members

I had a Carvin DCM150 at one time, it was ok for some stuff.

Lacks tube tone and feel, but it'll work...there is a pretty significant difference, yes.

You know, I've had several Engl preamps; including the 520, 620, and 530...as well as the Powerball (which is an AWESOME head) and a Savage 120 (also awesome).

Engl is one of my favorites outside of Egnater; incredible tones across the spectrum, but I found the 530 hard to get a great warm tone out of.

It was very metallic and lacked...warmth for a better word.

I found that the sound was super brittle with the stock tubes, but I put some JJs in there, and that made a huge difference!!! I am still thinking about getting an Egnater M4 for some different sounds, a tube power amp, a basic effects processor, and a power conditioner. At least that is all that I want to get for now. That list seems long enough for me for now.

• Members

Owned:

Peavey Tubefex - My favorite. Don't use it anymore cuz it died in the studio, has horrible patch to patch latency issues, and is difficult and expensive to fix. And I had to fix it twice in 7 years of heavy gigging. But it did some things NOTHING on the market today does as well. They don't make them any more and you have to send it back to the factory to get it repaired. But I sure do miss it.:wave:

Mesa V-Twin rack - Hated it, and I own and love my other Mesa stuff. Too nasally. Nailed the Mark II sound tho'. Santana for days, but not much else for me. Crappy efx loop (a common Mesa problem)

Engl 530 - Nice Marshall-y overdrive, but a worthless clean channel. Why even put a Midrange knob on the dern thing if it doesn't DO anything? Nice Clean EFX loop.

Mesa Rectifier Recording pre - Dig it pretty well. I like it with an EL34 driven Peavey power amp instead of my Mesa 50/50 6L6 driven power amp.

Want to try:

Any tube driven, high-voltage pre that can give me true, controllable, stereo and at least 2 channels (preferably 3), midi capability, a smokin', fat, clear clean channel, and some tasty modern drive flavors so I can go from Robben Ford to Vai with a twist of my Volume knob. Am I asking too much?

Can anyone make any suggestions?

• Members

Egnater M4 should fit the bill for what you want. It is midi, cna have up to 8 channels :eek: if you use the dual channel modules. I have serious gas for one even though I just got my E530 a couple of days ago.

Archived