15 year pedal user going to a rack system - whoa!

• Members

Well, I have been reading on here and doing extensive research on the net. I have always been a pedal junkie user and have finally decided it's time to make the jump to a rack system. I think I have what I want in mind, but need a reality check from you pros. (this stuff was really confusing at first and I almost gave up - ha!) I have the cash saved up to get most of this going.

Here's my thoughts:

Rack: 12 space w/casters

Preamp: Randall MTS

Switcher: GCX

Tuner: Korg (is the peterson worth it?)

FX 1: TC G-Major

Pedals: Zvex MAchine, Zvex Fuzz Factory (own these already, but haven't found a multi that can do Zvex)

Power Amp: Randall RT2/50

Midi FS: Ground Control Pro?

That will take up 9 spaces or so leaving me with 3 to grow

Later addons:

FX 2: Eventide Eclipse (more effects & int pitch shifting)

Misc: Possibly a BBE (need to try one out, but it seems like everyone sure likes them in their racks)

???: Other things I want to try for possible additions: EHX HOG, Line 6 Filter Pro, more pedals I already own into the mix.

I tried to play around with hookup ideas from the GCX website, but it got really confusing and I left that for another day!

So, like I say, I am ready to buy the stuff in the first section (Eclipse has to wait). Am I missing anything or does anyone have any recommendations for a noobie on rack stuff?

P.S. I play in a band that covers 70's, 80's, 90's, now rock/alt + a couple originals.

Thanks fot the help in advance.

• Members

Options:

--If you decide to keep the G Major you can use the tuner in that. It worked good for me--also d/l and install latest firmware. You could gain another space by losing the Korg.

--BBE's never worked for me no matter where I placed them in the chain. They sounded like they were always overloading and I'd hear a really faint echo. It was weird and maybe it was just me.

If you don't already have a RM4--I now warn you for becoming a module junkie, especially if you like to tinker and tweak your gear. :freak: It's a sickness with me since getting into the MTS family.

Overall, I'd say you have a very cool rig going for you with or without my suggestions. :thu:

• Members

Well, I have been reading on here and doing extensive research on the net. I have always been a pedal junkie user and have finally decided it's time to make the jump to a rack system. I think I have what I want in mind, but need a reality check from you pros. (this stuff was really confusing at first and I almost gave up - ha!) I have the cash saved up to get most of this going.

Here's my thoughts:

Rack: 12 space w/casters

Pedals: Zvex MAchine, Zvex Fuzz Factory (own these already, but haven't found a multi that can do Zvex)

Power Amp: Randall RT2/50

Midi FS: Ground Control Pro?

That will take up 9 spaces or so leaving me with 3 to grow

Later addons:

FX 2: Eventide Eclipse (more effects & int pitch shifting)

Misc: Possibly a BBE (need to try one out, but it seems like everyone sure likes them in their racks)

???: Other things I want to try for possible additions: EHX HOG, Line 6 Filter Pro, more pedals I already own into the mix.

I tried to play around with hookup ideas from the GCX website, but it got really confusing and I left that for another day!

So, like I say, I am ready to buy the stuff in the first section (Eclipse has to wait). Am I missing anything or does anyone have any recommendations for a noobie on rack stuff?

P.S. I play in a band that covers 70's, 80's, 90's, now rock/alt + a couple originals.

Thanks fot the help in advance.

If you are going to get an Eclipse then I suggest an Axe FX Ultra. It will eliminate the need for:

Also save your back on a 12 space and get a smaller one.

Avoid the BBE, you'll end up doing more damage to your tone than you want. It's a generic bandaid for tone. :poke:

One thing you should definitely have is a power conditioner of some sort. Furman or Monster make great ones. Higher the rating, the better the protection but also the more money.

You didn't mention a cabinet or is the Randall a combo?

• Members

I actually have a 1960A and 1960B Marshall cabs that I planned to use for now. I am presently running a GT-8 along with the Zvexs into a DSL-50 via the 4 cable method (+ GT-8 amp switching) and MIDI out to a Korg KP2. Also run a thru out to a Rocktron Banshee. It gives me plenty of sounds, but I am still doing some creative dancing through some songs.

I looked into the Axe-FX, but every forum is talking like they are on a LONG backorder.

• Members

I agree that you should go with the Axe FX ultra, but I still like having a real amp in my rig. I use a Soundsculpture switchblade to handle the switching/looping and an FX1 for control.

One thing you need to be aware of is that the zvex FF only works well when first in your chain after the guitar. If you already use it later on and have no problem with the suckage that offers, then you'll be fine with it in a loop. However, if you understand the goodness of having it first in your chain then you'll want to keep it on the floor.

Other then that, it's an awesome rig.

-W

• Members

Yeah, the Axe's are pretty popular. I had to wait for 4 months for mine but it seems that the wait is longer now.

I've seen a couple for sale on the Huge Racks site. They pop up now and then. People get discouraged with em and don't take the time to dial them in and sell them.

I still run a VHT 2/50/2 and an Avatar 2x12 with my ADA 3TM for distortion. Live I use the Axe for mostly effects except 1 rhythm patch and all cleans. I switch between them with an Axess GRX-4.

But at home in my studio it's all Axe.

If you are going to run a lot of pedals you might try a buffer with them as well. I still run my Axess BS-2 to clean up anything and I know a few peeps who run them with their pedal board. May not need it but doesn't hurt to check it out to see if it improves the signal flow.

Man I'd love to get an FX1 but they are way too expensive. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived