GCX + GC Pro and 3 amps. Help? Pretty Please :)

• Members

Sorry for the double post, but I was not sure which section this belonged in. :)

Hi guys noob here. Hope I got the right section, if not please move me ;) Was wondering before they get here I can ask for some advice. I have been reading the manual and wanna make sure I get it all set up right.

I have a GCX and a GC pro coming this week. I have a Diezel VH4S that takes up 2 4x12 cabs , a ENGK PowerBall, a JC-120 head (coming also this week) and a Mesa 4x12 (which can be split into 2 sides)

Now I am not so into FX. I only use a chorus pedal and a delay on lead channels. Can some one point me in the right direction as to

1 Can I hook up all three amp heads into the GCX and then use GC pro to switch channels from all the heads? (Like go from Diezel Channel 2 to the switch to Powerball channel 1 clean etc.)

2 I only have 2 FX pedals, chrous and Delay, so my other question is if i can use this as a amp switcher, can I also blend in the 2 pedals to what ever amp and amp channel I want?

3 if I can hook up all three amps, can I blend say for example the 2 rhythm channels of the Powerball and Diezel together and have 2 amps rhtyhm channels going at the same time?

4 So my overall question... :) Can 1 GCX and 1 GC pro control all 3 amps and its respective channels.( I saw one Diagram where one 3 channel amp took up 3 loops on the GCX :( I was hoping the GCX would give me control to set me up that I can switch amps easily, and also set up patches to different channels.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice for this midi noob. LOL :wave:

IMG_1908.jpg

• Members

A lot of what you want to do is exactly what the GCX was made for. The only problem is that you're limited to 8 loops/switches unless you were to get a second GCX.

If you need help with cabling/routing then post back or PM me. A couple questions: Do you use your pedals on at the same time, all the time or separately? Do you use every channel of all three amps?

Cool set up, you've got!

Scott

• Members

Do you put the delay pedal in front of your amps? If you do you can wire it like this:

1: Chorus

2: Delay

3: Splitter (Morley makes a pedal that will split to 3 amps)

4: Input: Morley output 1

Send: Engl input

5: Input:Morley output 2

Send: Diezel input

6: Input: Morley output 3

Send: JC120

You would use loops 4, 5, and 6 to select the amps inputs. If you went directly from the splitter to the amps you'd only be able to play through all three all the time.

If you put the delay pedal in the loop it gets more difficult

1: Chorus

2: Splitter (Morley makes a pedal that will split to 3 amps)

3: Input: Morley output 1

Send: Engl input

4: Input: Morley output 2

Send: Diezel input

5: Input: Morley output 3

Send: JC120 All amp effects sends to line mixer

6: Delay

7: Engl effects return or splitter to amps effects returns

8: Diezel effects return

Splitting to the effects returns would play the mixed signal through all the power sections/speaker cabinets. Otherwise you could select between effects returns ie: power sections/cabinets.

I don't know how your amps channel switch but you will likely need something like the Axess Electronics CFX4, Amp Gizmo, or if you want to sort of slum it the Rockman Midi Octopus.

Most pedals aren't designed to take the levels of an effects send and will malfunction and or be damaged putting that much signal into them. You'd be better off using a rack effects processor for your delay if you were to run it that way.

The Axess Electronics BF-2 would probably work better than the Morley but it's not as affordable.

• Members

You can't buy a cable that will split more than 2 ways. Building one is an achilles heel.

Also not using a buffer to split it like the axess you WILL notice loading on the signal.

ie: it will not sound like plugging directly into your amps individually or with the GCX directly either for that matter.

• Members

Hey guys thanks so much for the feedback. I dunno why I did not get an email notification on this thread :(

Anyway, so let's forget about the FX. I just use the Delay and Chorus in the channel inserts of the Diezel only. The wah and tuner I use in front, so no worries on FX.

Main main goal is how to I hook the GCX to the GC Pro (not here yet but getting ready) So I can switch Channels on all 4 Powerball Channels, all 4 channels on the Diezel VH4S and 1 channel on the JC120 head. I am getting another cab, so forget about cabs. Each one will have their own cab :)

The Diezel is Midi controlled and uses the circular pin connection so I guess no worries there as I can hook that right into the GCX and then set patches for the channels. My worries is the Powerball. See look at the pic: How can I get that into the GCX and use GC Pro to control all 4 channels?

Back

gcx_bg.htm

• Members

Axess electronics sells adaptors for amps to switch with regular 1/4" cables.

Chances are you will need more than what you have to switch all the amps.

Just to be able to select between them and mix them will take 3-4 loops as I showed you previously.

If the Diezel uses standard midi to switch it that won't be a problem but likely each channel on the Engl will be one jack +1 for the JC120.

Also if the Diezel has a footswitchable bypass on the effects loop you can use another 1/4" switch for that to switch your delay in and out.

• Members

actaully things changed! LOL I bought a ENGL Special Edition with EL 34's. So it already has the midi outs, looks like I can use the Diezel and SE all midi and the roland in one of the loops.

Can you show me how I would connect what to what?

Like ok

guitar-GCX-GCPRo

then from there with all the midi cables what would go to wso the GCX reads all the midi messages. I am assuming Midi outs on both SE and Diezel, but where to as the GCX only has one input for midi. I would I like run Diezel midi thru to the SE then back to the GCX or something? Thanks so much guys!:thu::thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys just an update. Still need some more help as a Midi noob

I have it all set up now with 5 presets for my ENGL SE and 1 preset for the JC-120 and it all works fine. Each amp has their own cab.

Now I cannot figure out how to set up the Diezel? I have the midi connections correct (I think :confused:) but then how would I use loop 3 to connect the diezel to receive the Diezel info?

Can anyone walk me through how to set up GC Pro and GCX using the loops? Including what to do on the GC pro board? Like assinging the correct Midi channel , how to turn it on etc? I have the ENGL set as Midi channel 15 and I want the Diezel at 16 (which I think I did) but I don't know how to hook it up wires wise to a loop (like which ones) and program it.

I have right now presets;

1 ENGL ch 1 with chorus

2 ENGL ch2 2 Rhythm

3 ENGL ch3 Vintage

4 ENGL ch4 Lead

5 ENGl ch 5 clean no chorus

6 Jc-120

and everything works fine. i have the chorus in loop 1 and know how to turn it off. but my goal now is to get Diezel channels 1,2,3,4 for presets 7,8,9,10

Any help would be much appreciated you guys are the greatest! thanks!

Archived