Question about mesa/Boogie Quad preamp

• Members

Hi

Since I sold my MKIV I have been longing a multi channel set up.

I run into a Quad preamp at a local store & tried it out.

I was looking for a good clean tone (Fenderish), Crunch Rhythm (AC/DC)

and High gain smooth liquid lead (John Sykes type tone)

I have to ask because the unit seemed quite dull , with very little gain.

just how much gain does the Quad pramp have ?

The unit did not enough gain for Old school Hard rock /Metal

No gain for lead.

So im wondering if anyone has sound clips of the unit ?

• Members

I can't speak for the quad but the studio preamp I use has tons of gain. Not as much as my carvin V3 did but it does have more clarity and less compression at high gain/volume.

It's pretty much petrucci's "images and words" tone in a box. I don't even have to try and can nail the heavy chugging intro part of "pull me under". Thats' the type gain it's got.

From what I've heard the quads have a little more and a hair more agressive voicing.

For what they're worth, here's a clip of the clean and overdrive channels of my preamp into the power section of a 6L6 powered carvin valvemaster amp.

Hopefully they'll give you a good idea of what it does and can make an estimation of what the quad can do.

• Members

Finally I got it, but I have to say this Quad doesnt sound as good as my Mesa Studio. Something is defenitely wrong; compared to the Studio, the Quad that came to me is muddy and edgy. And it seems to have less gain! :( I have trtied retubing it, but it was only worse. It came with JJs and they are at least fine, even cool.

I can get some gain out ofmthe first channel and the seciond channel isn't gainy at all, it gives only crunch.

Compared to the mesa studio in the Quad to get a high gain I need to turn the volume of the first stage widely. And it makes the sound so muddy. Besieds the hights in the Quad are not taht crispy, i can better say they are edgy, sound very sharp and when i turn the highs down the sound grows somewhat dull.

I'm now really upset, because I spent a lot of money on this preamp. :)

• Members

All right, now I've tamed the Quad! It's as good as the Studio, but much more versatile. And - I don't know why - the Studio has more crisps. So it sounds a bit different from the Quad. The Quad is dark dark dark. May be it's the tubes? Should the JJ ECC83s sound darker, or?

• Members

No idea... I know there have been C+ mods for the studio with reported good results. Different tubes can make quite a difference (as I heard with mine), my MXR EQ in the loop can make a world of difference as well.

Worth noting is that my studio sounds fizzy and very harsh using the primary 2 outputs. I don't know if it's supposed to be this way but plugging into the recording outputs yields an incredibly smooth and liquid tone with still TONS of high end bite and heat to it.

• Members

I've compared the two a few times and the threads might be somewhere in the amp forum.

But yeah, the Studio sounds a bit "more" than the Quad. A bit more what...? Well, I can't quite put my finger on it. Both are really cool though.

Not sure on the switching but it's probably something with that switcher itself. I used a cheapo DIY one at first and it was fine. Now I use a GCX to control the switching and it works ok too.

• Members

I've compared the two a few times and the threads might be somewhere in the amp forum.

But yeah, the Studio sounds a bit "more" than the Quad. A bit more what...? Well, I can't quite put my finger on it. Both are really cool though.

Not sure on the switching but it's probably something with that switcher itself. I used a cheapo DIY one at first and it was fine. Now I use a GCX to control the switching and it works ok too.

That's what they say

Should you accidentally hit two switches at once and two

• Members

Midi Matrix was Boogie's own switching system from years ago. No worries on that one.

The mode/function jacks are just 1/4" jacks on the rear of the unit which control switching on/off of the functions. Pretty much any footswitch that uses a 1/4" cable from the switch to the amp should work. You could even just get a 1/4" plug and short out the connection with a piece of metal and that will turn the function on.

• Members

Oh, thanks, do I understand it like this: I take a 1/4" jack and a switch button. On a press of the button it links up the ground and tip if the jack (plugged into a channel) and the channel is on. On the second press it disconnects the ground and tip and the chan is off. Right? If so I can make it myself.

Archived