Tell me about the ART X-15 Ultrafoot

• Members

Browsing ebay I came across one of these (first I've seen in years). What struck me is that the expression pedals are on the left, whereas nearly every other board out there that has them built in, puts them on the right under the right foot which seems more natural to me, and is where I currently put my expression pedal.

Has anyone here used one of these and how do you find it? Also how powerful/useful is the thing in general, would it be worth getting one over a Behringer FCB1010 for instance?

• Members

I've had one - haven't had the Behringer unit so can't really do a comparison

The "effect on/off mode" (As opposed to the program change mode) I THINK might use an ecoding/mapping sceme proprietary to the ART line [i dont know if you can set it up for more general cc, etc on/off effect switching with non-art units)

yeah, the position of the expression is kind of a personal taste thing I suppose (any idea is you are reg or goofy footed?) seems like many manufacturers put em on the left, but then again, the roland VG/GR line puts em on the right - eh, who knows (I play seated, so it wasn't so much an issue for me

one thing about the expressions, they use an open optical" method like the old Morley pedals and every once in a while it seems like some stray reflection would wonk the readings (I put a piece of cardboard to block em and it seemed to alleviate the problem, but I didn't recreate the problem in contolled conditions so I can't validate it)

I used it as a gen purpose prgram changer and it seemed to work well (had a couple of channel swithc relays which was nice), was sturdy enough.

The rubber covered butons seemed durable, would have liked a little more tactile feedback myself (put if you are standing player you might put more pressure on em) , but cant say it failed to switch, just didn't feel a positive switch reaction

it worked fine for the plain vanilla stuff (not to say more advanced features dont. I just wasn't using em...I was tending to run the MIDI implementation very flat)

• Members

The "effect on/off mode" (As opposed to the program change mode) I THINK might use an ecoding/mapping sceme proprietary to the ART line [i dont know if you can set it up for more general cc, etc on/off effect switching with non-art units)

No it's not proprietary. The switches and CC pedals can be programmed any way you like.

• Members

If it switched slow then it was most likely the fault of the units not the controller. A lot of the older FX units were slow to switch patches.

No it's not proprietary. The switches and CC pedals can be programmed any way you like.

I was using an ADA MP-1 and a Digitech TSR-24 back then.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, sounds like an interesting piece of kit.

As I'm used to using an expression pedal/wah with my right foot I think I'd find it awkward. The one I was watching on ebay is heading North price wise at a rate of knots anyway with some time left on the auction so I'll pass I think.

Archived