Using PA cabinets

gappa

• Members

I've been looking for an affordable small cab to run my rack through and I thought why not PA speakers?

I've heard here and there of people using them but I wanna hear pros, cons and advice.

For reference, my rack is a pod pro ( as a clean preamp ) and a rocktron velocity 120 power amp. I use that along with pedals.

It seems to me that PA cabinets would be similar to PA power amps in that they are voiced to be flat and clean rather than for a specific instrument such as guitar or bass. Since I have the POD and watnot that would be okay with me.

anyway, have at it!

thanks!

• Members

No, you'll blow your tweeters. There was a good post on this a while back.

The person that told you this is an idiot. The crossovers built into the speaker cabs distribute the correct frequencies to each speaker which protects the tweeters from blowing when used properly.

• Members

this is an acceptable option....

take your little rig set up to a local music store, almost all of them carry passive PA speakers and a variety of 4x12 and 2x12 guitar cabs and try both side by side and see which you like better....

I have a similar set up but i have chosen to go with a detuned 1x12 cab in stereo.

set up like this

guitar-> digitech 2120->mosvalve 1160 (SS poweramp)-> cabs

change up cabs to PA speakers and see how you like it.

• Members

The person that told you this is an idiot. The crossovers built into the speaker cabs distribute the correct frequencies to each speaker which protects the tweeters from blowing when used properly.

The large amount of harmonics inherent in gained guitar tones can blow your tweeters.

• Members

i have done this and you will not blow your tweeters....

I have tried, PA speakers unpowered, JBL eons (powered PA), Keyboard amps, regular amps.

alll of these i have tried with no detrimental effect on the equipment.

THe modelling technology actually sounds best through a PA (FR FR setup) full range flat response setup. they are made to sound good this way.... for direct to PA use....

take your pod and go to a music store and try it all out.... you will be amazed at what you will find.

it is my understanding that Weezer made use of pods straight into the PA for one of their tours....

• Members

FAIL.

Also, the signature section is there for you to put your name in so you don't have to type it every time.

DOUBLE FAIL.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25437815&postcount=15

From http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1830697&highlight=PA+speakers+tweeters

I should point out that that is with cab modelling off. With it on it's fine, but lots of people say it sounds better through a cab.

• Members

The large amount of harmonics inherent in gained guitar tones can blow your tweeters.

He's running it through a POD, renob. The cab emulation will severely attenuate the high frequencies. It's like miking a cab. It'll work great as long as the speakers can handle the amp's power capacity. In fact, PODs work better this way than through a guitar cab.

• Members

FAIL.

Also, the signature section is there for you to put your name in so you don't have to type it every time.

DOUBLE FAIL.

From

I should point out that that is with cab modelling off. With it on it's fine, but lots of people say it sounds better through a cab.

IDIOT. arguing about different scenarios. Why would anyone turn cab sims off thru a PA?

Jun

• Members

IDIOT. arguing about different scenarios. Why would anyone turn cab sims off thru a PA?

tats it's no use arguing with this little troll. This is what happens when retards wander over here from the guitar forum and start quoting misinformation. Only a 12 year old kid would write "fail" and actually believe that he had proven his point. Sonny why don't you take your "fail", "teh", "brootalz" ,and any other mindless jargon that you punks use and go back to the kiddie forums.

• Members

You're right ocnor,

Typical post from somebody reading something and only understanding half of it. The person that Django5 quoted admitted he doesn't even use a modeller!!

GAPPA,

The added benefit of using PA speakers is, by incorporating a small mixer, you can use it to amplify vocals, keys, drum machines, etc. for rehearsals.

Last week out of curiosity, I plugged the original POD into a Carvin Legacy power section and cab. The effects obviously don't sound as pristine compared to using a PA but the resulting sound was inspiring.

Jun

Archived