Recommendations for MDID Effects Processor(s)

• Members

Any recommendations for a quality effects processor for the rig below? I'm in the process of converting from floor gear to a MIDI rack. The processor will be replacing a full set of Maxon 9 Series reissue Pedals.

Guitars:

8 different Guitars (I'll spear you the boring details)

Rack:

Juice Goose 8.0 Power Conditioner

Behringer Rack Tuner

ADA MP-1 Preamp

Rane MP-28 EQ

DUNLOP DCR-2 Rack Wah

Rocktron Hush IIc Nose Reduction

Pedal Board:

Vooddoo Labs Amp Selector

Rocktron MIDI Mate Controller

Maxon 9 Series Reissue Pedals (Soon to be sold)

Amp:

Marshall Jubilee 2554

Marshall JCM800 4104

Mesa Boogie DC-5

59 Fender Bassman Handwired Clone

• Members

Tough to beat a G-Major. People who whine about the sound of them are either not setting them up properly or are full of dookie. I have a Lonestar with a loop that you can hard bypass at the flick of a switch and I can barely tell a difference with the G-Major set to "bypass all" (no effects active) and the loop turned off. I've heard good things about the Rocktron stuff, but IMO, the TC delays are better. If money is no object get an Eventide Eclipse.

• Members

Any recommendations for a quality effects processor for the rig below? I'm in the process of converting from floor gear to a MIDI rack. The processor will be replacing a full set of Maxon 9 Series reissue Pedals.

Guitars:

8 different Guitars (I'll spear you the boring details)

Rack:

Juice Goose 8.0 Power Conditioner

Behringer Rack Tuner

ADA MP-1 Preamp

Rane MP-28 EQ

DUNLOP DCR-2 Rack Wah

Rocktron Hush IIc Nose Reduction

Pedal Board:

Vooddoo Labs Amp Selector

Rocktron MIDI Mate Controller

Maxon 9 Series Reissue Pedals (Soon to be sold)

Amp:

Marshall Jubilee 2554

Marshall JCM800 4104

Mesa Boogie DC-5

59 Fender Bassman Handwired Clone

* What's your budget?

* What type of setup are you going to be running? (mono, stereo, W/D, W/D/W)

* Are you running your effects series, parallel, or series/parallel combination?

* What kind of effects are you hoping to utilize?

* Will you require direct access for each of your effect devices and amp selection and amp channel switching, in addition to MIDI controlled presets?

* How many loops will you require?

* Are you planning on running continuous control messages to manipulate effect parameters in real time?

* What power amp are you running the MP1 through?

* Is each amp that you have listed going to be switchable and if so, are they going to be used one at a time through the same cabinet, or are they going to be combined using different cabinets?

As you can see, your question is not so cut and dry...

Recommend you go here and read EVERYTHING:

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

Prepare yourself for an eye opening, heart stopping, and potentially very expensive journey into the arena that you're facing. Trust me... design your rig with growth in mind and don't try to short cut the "right" gear, for the cheaper gear alternative. The cheaper gear alternative will likely have you spending twice as much in the long run anyway. Do it "right" the 1st time.

Some cool rack processors I recommend for your 1st fore' into the rack arena are:

Yamaha: SPX 90, SPX90II, SPX900

Rocktron: Intellifex, Intelliverb, Replifex

TC Electronic: G-Major, M1, D2

Roland: Dep 5, SDE2500, SDE3000

Lexicon: MPX-1

If you're a top shelf kinda guy:

Processors:

TC Electronic: 2290, 1210, G-Force, 1128, 1140, D2

Eventide: H8000FW, H7600, Orville, DSP7000, GTR4000, Eclipse

Lexicon: PCM-70 thru PCM 91

Amp Switchers:

Custom Audio Electronics

MIDI Foot Controllers:

Axess Electronics: FX-1

Custom Audio Electronics: RS-10

Rack Switchers:

Custom Audio Electronics

Switchblade GL

Voodoo Labs GCX

• Members

I have nothing significant to add. I just want to know how that Dunlop DCR-2SR sounds.
:)

I've got one on my wish list on Musician's Friend but I can't commit yet.

Sounds incrediable! I must have tried every wah pedal on the planet before dropping big bucks on the rack wah. Highly recommended, really no comparision in sound or flexibility. The manual sucks, but the adjustments are straightforward. A couple of things I wish it had is some sort of storage for presets and midi interface. No big deal, unless you change your wah tone alot.

• Members

I hardly use a wah, but that's mostly because the one I have isn't radical enough for me. I'm racking all of my pedals and that's one I'm not sure whether to upgrade to the rack unit or cut out of my chain entirely.

Any comments on the range of tones and general functionality of the unit? I really like the low super scratchy and the throaty sounding wahs.

• Members

I hardly use a wah, but that's mostly because the one I have isn't radical enough for me. I'm racking all of my pedals and that's one I'm not sure whether to upgrade to the rack unit or cut out of my chain entirely.

Any comments on the range of tones and general functionality of the unit? I really like the low super scratchy and the throaty sounding wahs.

The functionality is fine for the amount of parameters available. They are all straight forward. The range knobs go from really bright to bass wah. The Q knob adjust the frequency width. There is also a boost Knob & 6 bands of EQ. All of the settings are controlled with Knobs (potimeters). If you have a wah sound in your head, you should be able to dial it in within minutes. No problem there. The back of the unit has a jack for a remote on/off switch and a volume pedal along with various in/output jacks. The sweep of the pedal is extremely comfortable. All in all, this unit is great. It would be perfect if you could store presets and call them up via MIDI. The possibility of changing between a couple of presets with a single toe tap would definately inspire creation.

As for the sound, this is where the unit shines. I'm no electrical engineer but the difference in this unit and a self contained foot pedal is night & day. When I first connected it, I started by playing some clean sounds. I played the intro to Voodoo Child by Jimi then went right into Civil War by GnR, my girlfriend says I was grinning from ear to ear. Then I switched guitars, pluged in the tube screamer, adjusted my preamp, and nailed the intro to Fade to Black by Metallica. Since then i've had no problem finding the right wah tone. $600 is overpriced for this unit but with the exception of the EMB Rack Wah, nothing is in it's class. As far as the low throaty stuff, maybe a Heil Talk Box will work?

• Members

* What's your budget?

* Are you running your effects series, parallel, or series/parallel combination?

* Will you require direct access for each of your effect devices and amp selection and amp channel switching, in addition to MIDI controlled presets?

* Are you planning on running continuous control messages to manipulate effect parameters in real time?

* Is each amp that you have listed going to be switchable and if so, are they going to be used one at a time through the same cabinet, or are they going to be combined using different cabinets?

Recommend you go here and read
EVERYTHING
:

Prepare yourself for an eye opening, heart stopping, and potentially very expensive journey into the arena that you're facing. Trust me... design your rig with growth in mind and don't try to short cut the "right" gear, for the cheaper gear alternative. The cheaper gear alternative will likely have you spending twice as much in the long run anyway. Do it "right" the 1st time.

Some cool rack processors I recommend for your 1st fore' into the rack arena are:

Processors:

Amp Switchers:

Custom Audio Electronics

MIDI Foot Controllers:

Rack Switchers:

Custom Audio Electronics

Switchblade GL

Voodoo Labs GCX

Thanks for the well thought out advice. Guess I better get the wallet out because the two units I like so far are the Lexicon PCM 81 & the G-Force. Any comments on how these two units would sound compared to my analog, true bypass pedals? The main effects I would use are delay, chorus, & a compressor. The others would be required but used sparingly.

• Members

Thanks for the well thought out advice. Guess I better get the wallet out because the two units I like so far are the Lexicon PCM 81 & the G-Force. Any comments on how these two units would sound compared to my analog, true bypass pedals? The main effects I would use are delay, chorus, & a compressor. The others would be required but used sparingly.

You have fine taste in gear. Both the PCM-81 and G-Force are fantastic units in their tweakability, and clean signal.

Comparing becomes a slippery slope because some people just prefer a particular sonic characteristic re: their tones, as you specified analog pedals, it may be a case that you like the clearer resolution of both the Lexicon and G-Force, or you may prefer the colored affect that analog pedals bring into the equation. ex. I have 2 compressors in my rig. The rack mounted Rocktron 300G is used just to even out the signal going to the rack and I prefer the MXR Dyna Comp for actual compressor tone. In my rig I chose to use a combination of rack processors and have a pedal tray w/ analog pedals as well.

NAMM%20pics%20cropped%20020.jpg

I decided to run things this way after having designed and built several other systems, and was tired of feeling like I was compromising in the tone or control department.

My favorite Delay is my TC Electronic 2290, though I use some of my other processors for delay at times (Eventide H8000FW, Lexicon PCM80). My favorite chorus is the TC Electronic 1210, though I also use the chorusing in the TC 2290, PCM-80 and the Eventide H8000FW as well.

For chorusing the Rocktron Intellifex 8 voice chorus is fantastic and they can be picked up for less than $200, it also does a nice delay. The symphonic (Chorus type) setting on the Yamaha SPX90, and SPX90II are very nice and inexpensive too.

The thing with going the rack route is planning ahead will save you a lot of $$$ and potential frustration. When going w/ multiple processors, things like signal routing become either your worst nightmare or your friend, if you're willing to do it the "right way". The last statement may get a bunch of feathers ruffled, but oh well... it's still true. Running devices through a line mixer, in parallel- will provide you maximum performance from your gear and with processors like the Lexicon PCM series, there is a notable load time lag when selecting presets which is obnoxious, unless you run it parallel. Also highly recommend running your I/O's with the balanced I/O XLR's or TRS 1/4" connections. You'll allow yourself way more headroom and the Hi-Fi clarity of the devices will be much more apparent.

• Members

You have fine taste in gear. Both the PCM-81 and G-Force are fantastic units in their tweakability, and clean signal.

Comparing becomes a slippery slope because some people just prefer a particular sonic characteristic re: their tones, as you specified analog pedals, it may be a case that you like the clearer resolution of both the Lexicon and G-Force, or you may prefer the colored affect that analog pedals bring into the equation. ex. I have 2 compressors in my rig. The rack mounted Rocktron 300G is used just to even out the signal going to the rack and I prefer the MXR Dyna Comp for actual compressor tone. In my rig I chose to use a combination of rack processors and have a pedal tray w/ analog pedals as well.

NAMM%20pics%20cropped%20020.jpg

I decided to run things this way after having designed and built several other systems, and was tired of feeling like I was compromising in the tone or control department.

My favorite Delay is my TC Electronic 2290, though I use some of my other processors for delay at times (Eventide H8000FW, Lexicon PCM80). My favorite chorus is the TC Electronic 1210, though I also use the chorusing in the TC 2290, PCM-80 and the Eventide H8000FW as well.

For chorusing the Rocktron Intellifex 8 voice chorus is fantastic and they can be picked up for less than $200, it also does a nice delay. The symphonic (Chorus type) setting on the Yamaha SPX90, and SPX90II are very nice and inexpensive too.

The thing with going the rack route is planning ahead will save you a lot of $$$ and potential frustration. When going w/ multiple processors, things like signal routing become either your worst nightmare or your friend, if you're willing to do it the "right way". The last statement may get a bunch of feathers ruffled, but oh well... it's still true. Running devices through a line mixer, in parallel- will provide you maximum performance from your gear and with processors like the Lexicon PCM series, there is a notable load time lag when selecting presets which is obnoxious, unless you run it parallel. Also highly recommend running your I/O's with the balanced I/O XLR's or TRS 1/4" connections. You'll allow yourself way more headroom and the Hi-Fi clarity of the devices will be much more apparent.

a little ass kiss...:thu: you're making me pull the rack out. I have enough problems being anal about things...so I guess I need

6.02 x 1023

more possibilities to explore.:p

• Members
The functionality is fine for the amount of parameters available. They are all straight forward. The range knobs go from really bright to bass wah. The Q knob adjust the frequency width. There is also a boost Knob & 6 bands of EQ. All of the settings are controlled with Knobs (potimeters). If you have a wah sound in your head, you should be able to dial it in within minutes. No problem there. The back of the unit has a jack for a remote on/off switch and a volume pedal along with various in/output jacks. The sweep of the pedal is extremely comfortable. All in all, this unit is great. It would be perfect if you could store presets and call them up via MIDI. The possibility of changing between a couple of presets with a single toe tap would definately inspire creation.

As for the sound, this is where the unit shines. I'm no electrical engineer but the difference in this unit and a self contained foot pedal is night & day. When I first connected it, I started by playing some clean sounds. I played the intro to Voodoo Child by Jimi then went right into Civil War by GnR, my girlfriend says I was grinning from ear to ear. Then I switched guitars, pluged in the tube screamer, adjusted my preamp, and nailed the intro to Fade to Black by Metallica. Since then i've had no problem finding the right wah tone. $600 is overpriced for this unit but with the exception of the EMB Rack Wah, nothing is in it's class. As far as the low throaty stuff, maybe a Heil Talk Box will work?

Thanks for the input. I'll probably cave and get one soon. :)

• Members

What is your opinion of all inclusive systems like the Lexicon MPX-G2/R1 and the TC G System? After reading up on them a lot a G system is seeming more and more inviting but I can see how it could be limiting, what do you think?

The sound quality of those systems is nice, and really it comes down to personal preference and whether or not the setup will do what you need it to. I'm not trying to be vague on purpose, it's just that some people are willing to compromise in different areas than others.

I'd recommend taking your amp, guitar and cab and trying one out if you can and see if it'll do what you want. It's a significant investment...

• Members

That it is but it would render my Lexicon, GCX, GCP, and provided the chorus, phase, whammy, wah, and volume pedal are good enough everything on my rack shelf and pedal board useless.

One of the Guitar Centers in my area has one so I was planning to try it out tomorrow.

I primarily like the idea of the pre-gain effects in addition to the post-gain effects. The problem potentials I see with the G System (like the Lexicon) is being forced to use their foot controller and dificulty interfacing other new equipment. Using an analog chorus pedal or an analog phaser my sound better to my ears but is it better enough for the extra rack space and lack of flexibility.

I have no way to run a parallel effects system, despite running duel mono would I see an improvement running a line mixer?

• Members

That it is but it would render my Lexicon, GCX, GCP, and provided the chorus, phase, whammy, wah, and volume pedal are good enough everything on my rack shelf and pedal board useless.

One of the Guitar Centers in my area has one so I was planning to try it out tomorrow.

I primarily like the idea of the pre-gain effects in addition to the post-gain effects. The problem potentials I see with the G System (like the Lexicon) is being forced to use their foot controller and dificulty interfacing other new equipment. Using an analog chorus pedal or an analog phaser my sound better to my ears but is it better enough for the extra rack space and lack of flexibility.

I have no way to run a parallel effects system, despite running duel mono would I see an improvement running a line mixer?

I believe on the G-System there is an FX loop built in, so that you can add pedals etc... Though I am not certain how well it works, as I haven't tested that particular feature personally.

If you are running another processor or more, besides the G-System, then yes, you'll notice a benefit in your sound running through a line mixer.

Best of luck :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

* What's your budget?

Recommend you go here and read
EVERYTHING
:

Processors:

Amp Switchers:

Custom Audio Electronics

MIDI Foot Controllers:

Rack Switchers:

Custom Audio Electronics

Switchblade GL

Voodoo Labs GCX

Well I auctioned off the pedal collection (except the OD-9). After getting paid, the first purchase was a GCX Switcher. Then got a deal on a Yamaha SPX900. While screwing around at Guitar Center, I plugged into some Eventide stuff..WOW. That's the sound! I eventually picked up an H3000S which could use an EPROM upgrade. But this is definitely the unit that will take me to the next level. I'm still getting a feel for the presets though. Anyaways, thanks again for the advice, esp the hook up info. Any thoughts on the H3000 & SPX900 compressors?

• Members

What kind of controller are you going to use? I had bought 2 GCX switchers only to find I was limited by how many CC messages I could send with each preset. :(

I ended up getting two RG-16 switchers instead. They're easier to program. At least with my foot controller it's far easier.

• Members

What kind of controller are you going to use? I had bought 2 GCX switchers only to find I was limited by how many CC messages I could send with each preset.
:(

I ended up getting two RG-16 switchers instead. They're easier to program. At least with my foot controller it's far easier.

Well I had originally planed on a Rocktron Midi Mate but after a few emails & some research I learned that the Version 1 Midi Mate will control all 8 loops of the GCX. Version 2 will only control 5 loops. The GCX also requires a 5 pin phantom cable. So..I guess the older, discontinued DMC Ground Control. No need for the newer pro version. How do you like the RG-16? What controller do you use?

Archived