Where to put the BBE Sonic Maximizer

• Members

Hi guys, slowey building my rack up, so far a G-Force, GCX-Gcpro-Furman PlII, and now a BBE 362.

Where in the chain would it fit best tone wise. I hear different stories, some like it as if it was a pedal, and some what it in the FX loop. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much guys!

oh here an interesting vid on the BBE :)

not a guitar demo, but a demo of what it does in general

j6fatjizjyU

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use one in my rack rig, but it's the 362NR (noise reduction) that I use for eliminating some of the scratchy sound of fast picking with hot pickups, or for dialing out the somewhat tinny sound of solid state processors. It's effective for that, but at that point I'm using it for almost the opposite purposes as most people who buy them.

It sits after all other devices except my Hush unit.

• Members

Ok, so I figured I would get some responses that no one liked. Anyhoo. I really do like what it does to my cleans. That is a very important part of my playing and song writing is the cleans and it does sparkle them up. Since it techinically is going out the feed thru on the GCX before loop one, it is before so like last time I tried one, in front it does wonders for cleans but not too much with the distortion channels. With it behind it I found last night it barely does anything to the cleans but does a lot to the distortion. Thanks guys!

• Members

:eek:
With all that nice gear in your sig and you want to throw a {censored}ty BBE unit in there to "improve" your tone?

:confused:

I hear ya, but it is all in the ear of the beholder. I all I know is off, cleans are nice. On cleans sparkle a little more. Can't complain.

• Members

If you want a better clean tone try some of Earcandycabs Green machine speakers. They have a lot more definition then the celestions in your boogie cab, but they don't get shrill like some other brighter speakers.

I am currently waiting for my 212 cab so that I can try one of the Green machines with a few other speakers. For a couple of days I had 2 112s hooked up, a Green Machine in one, and a Vin 30 in the other. It was tonal nirvana!!!!

• Members

A sonic maximizer would probably make your setup sound worse rather than better. The only setup I've heard a sonic maximizer make sound better is an ADA MP-1 but it would probably help any of the processed 80's preamps. I put it in the MP-1 effects loop so I can choose to run or not run it on a per-patch basis. In my experience for the solid-state clean for sure it was like taking a blanket off my cab.

I've never heard one sound good with a head, it generally makes heads sound shrill and/or muddy depending on how it is dialed in. The often overlooked idea to making a sonic maximizer sound good is less is more.

• Members

Maybe you need a brighter cab!
:idea:
That'll really bring your cleans along with a nice EQ.

BBE's are really meant for a mixing console or PA...not in a guitar rig.

They're not really meant for that either. Their meant to be a band-aid solution for a system that is either inadequate itself or configured inadequately, also popular with the consumer market that is commonly looking for the next magic box to make their Pyle Audio system bump harder.

Check out any respectable high-end recording studio, mastering studio or live sound FOH, I promise the last thing you will find is a Sonic Maximiser.

• Members

Ok...you've been warned!!

Buy it and find out!!
:wave:
Good luck!

It is not a warning, I have it. I tested it on and off and to my ears, my cleans brighten up a lot, and for my dirties it slightly tightens them. I know they get a bad rap, but IMO if set right and it sounds good to the person, then I don't really care what others think. I just initially when I got it where to properly put it. ;)

Archived