Best General Power Amps

• Members

I've been an avid guitar equipment enthusiast in the past, but now I'm getting into other sound system stuff involving studio and performing equipment.

First of all, how much of a difference is there between a "guitar" power amp, and a regular one (e.g. PA). Wouldn't the best guitar (tube) power amps be among the best general amplifiers (for a DJ, studio, or professional performance rig - like the sound techs at the house of blues use)? Thanks for your input.

• Members

Firstly, the tonal characteristics of a guitar power amp and a studio or PA power are different. Guitar amps tend to be orientated to accent the mid range frequencies that the guitar lives in while a PA amp, and even more so a studio amp is designed to give a flat eq response across the whole frequency range.

Second, guitar's amps (valve ones anyway) are designed to distort fairly early on when driven. This is generally a good thing for us guitarists as it gives us that desirable power amp distortion that is the root of a lot of classic tones. As a studio or PA amp though the last thing you want is distortion of any sort and so these amps are solid state and designed to stay clean all the way up to full volume if possible.

• Members

Firstly, the tonal characteristics of a guitar power amp and a studio or PA power are different. Guitar amps tend to be orientated to accent the mid range frequencies that the guitar lives in while a PA amp, and even more so a studio amp is designed to give a flat eq response across the whole frequency range.

Second, guitar's amps (valve ones anyway) are designed to distort fairly early on when driven. This is generally a good thing for us guitarists as it gives us that desirable power amp distortion that is the root of a lot of classic tones. As a studio or PA amp though the last thing you want is distortion of any sort and so these amps are solid state and designed to stay clean all the way up to full volume if possible.

+1.

Also, powering a PA takes a lot more power to be the most efficient, regardless of PA size. Powering studio monitors--not so much. A guitar poweramp would suffice, but not recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

+1 more.

Definitely a big difference in tonal qualities between guitar and PA amps.

I'm a Crown fan when it comes to PA amps, although I hear Crest has made some quality amps in the past. I'm certain there are others as well. I know a guy who uses some EV commercial series 400 watt amps for his subs and they almost kick my Crown K2's asses.

The big thing to look at when auditioning PA amps: consider what they will be used for and do some research and look closely at specs. What may make a good mid- or high-frequency amp may not make a good subwoofer amp. Look at things such as slew rate/damping factor/distortion rating/power capability/impedance rating. When it comes to output power rating, my opinion is that too much is much better than too little.

Archived