What power conditioner/surge protector should I buy?

• Members

Hello Everyone,

I need to find the right power power conditioner/surge protector for me. I have looked over a bunch of different models but I can't figure out what to buy.

Here's what I will be using it to protect:

1. Laboga Mr Hector Head (KILLER!)

2. Earcandy Cab w/ Green Machines (ON ORDER!)

Since all this is expensive (and I will probably add stuff to it) I want a good one that will give my equipment some kick ass protection. This is especially because some of the places I will be playing will be dives.

Also, it would be cool if I could have a readout of the volts coming out of the wall. This isn't necessary but it would be kick-ass.

Thanks!

-Matt

PS: Also, it would be nice if it could be LESS than $250.

• Members

Hello Everyone,

I need to find the right power power conditioner/surge protector for me. I have looked over a bunch of different models but I can't figure out what to buy.

Here's what I will be using it to protect:

1. Laboga Mr Hector Head (KILLER!)

2. Earcandy Cab w/ Green Machines (ON ORDER!)

Since all this is expensive (and I will probably add stuff to it) I want a good one that will give my equipment some kick ass protection. This is especially because some of the places I will be playing will be dives.

Also, it would be cool if I could have a readout of the volts coming out of the wall. This isn't necessary but it would be kick-ass.

Thanks!

-Matt

PS: Also, it would be nice if it could be LESS than $250.

Either buy the $50 one here... (I have one... It works fine)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Furman-M8-Power-Conditioner?sku=181115

Or buy this one here...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Furman-AR1215-AC-Line-Regulator?sku=181290

If it doesn't have an actual transformer built in like the second one then it's just an expensive power strip like the ones you buy from Home Depot.

So basically you're throwing your money away if you pay more than $50 or less than about $550 if that makes any sense.

• Members

Either buy the $50 one here... (I have one... It works fine)

Or buy this one here...

If it doesn't have an actual transformer built in like the second one then it's just an expensive power strip like the ones you buy from Home Depot.

So basically you're throwing your money away if you pay more than $50 or less than about $550 if that makes any sense.

No No NO to the Furman AR-1215 that this guy just recommended. I have one, and it definitely adds some hum to my guitar signal.

The Furman Power Factor Pro or Power Factor Pro R are the ones recommended for guitar rigs if you're spending top dollar. The PL-Plus series II or even a used PL-Plus can be gotten for fairly cheap. All of these have voltage readouts as well.

• Members

No No NO to the Furman AR-1215 that this guy just recommended. I have one, and it definitely adds some hum to my guitar signal.

The Furman Power Factor Pro or Power Factor Pro R are the ones recommended for guitar rigs if you're spending top dollar. The PL-Plus series II or even a used PL-Plus can be gotten for fairly cheap. All of these have voltage readouts as well.

The PL series don't have a transformer in them, hence they don't do anything.

• Members

The PL series doesn't regulate voltage. They do, however, protect from spikes and surges, filter out line noise (emi/rfi filtration), offer extreme overvoltage protection, and monitor voltage.

The AR-1215 regulates voltage, but is for non noise critical, live sound situations only (per Furman's website).

The AR-15 II is a quieter version of the 1215 voltage regulator.

• Members

What about the ART PS 4x4?

It has volt readout and power use meters.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=84&cat=7&id=53

Seems to do everything Furman does, is cheaper and looks cool.

I have never used any power conditioners, I am only just starting to put a rack together. I am thinking of getting one of these and wonder what the experienced guys here think.

• Members

Both my bass player and I have the Furman Power Factor Pro R's for 3 years now, and they've been great! They have cut alot of "dirty" power noise, and have saved our gear a couple of times with power drop outs. Great investment and I highly recommend it. :thu:

I'll be investing in the AR-15 II right away as well. A regulator will defenitly be a big help to a consistant sound from my Rivera Knucklehead Reverb.

• Members

Hey mgcasella,

I've been using the Furman PL-Plus power conditioners for 15 years now and they work absolutely fine for the cover band gigs I perform at. I appreciate what it does for my guitar rack rigs since I also plug my amps into it. As El Grinder said: protect from spikes and surges, filter out line noise (emi/rfi filtration), offer extreme overvoltage protection, and monitor voltage.

Guitar George

• Members

What about the ART PS 4x4?

It has volt readout and power use meters.

Seems to do everything Furman does, is cheaper and looks cool.

I have never used any power conditioners, I am only just starting to put a rack together. I am thinking of getting one of these and wonder what the experienced guys here think.

No one has commented on the ART unit.

The OP mentions less than $250. Is this a viable alternative to Furman?

• Members

Save your money.

http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=22

Better then almost anything else that has been listed. The voltage regulation is what is needed. When there is a big draw on the electrical system you can sometimes see lights dim momentarily like when the dryer turns on at home this will kick in the bettery to keep it at a solid 120VAC. Also if the voltage is over 120 it will regulate it down. This does the same thing as the $500+ rack units but for $120. That is what I use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've got a Monster Pro 3500. Way more than I need but it's big and looks cool, and I got an employee discount on it so I went with it. It works fine for me and I dig it, however it's like $300 sticker price or something like that.

• Members

Just picked up a Furman AR15 Series II brand new off ebay for $440. It's a true voltage regulator as opposed to some of the glorified power strips out there. Tiny bit of hum, but I just it for live gigs so you NEVER hear it.

• Members

Hey mgcasella,

I've been using the Furman PL-Plus rackmounted power conditioners for many years on my cover band gigs. They work well for what you might need it for. You can find a used PL-Plus for around $100.00 or less.

Guitar George

• Members

I just got the monster power 2500 and its pretty sweet. I can leave all of my units on and use it as a master on switch.

it turns on the power amp after a couple seconds to safeguard from electronics shenanigans messing things up.

Archived