Pedal power advice.

• Members

Ok...i have an ns2, bad monkey, and wha pedal all being powered by the ns2 daisy chain. Name all options for getting rid of the ground loop hum, including cheap fixes, expensive fixes...whatever. Can I lift a ground on anything? Thanks dudes!

• Members

Hey UVguy,

Your Boss NS-2's power supply is causing the hum to your effect pedals. I would highly recommend the VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply or the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. Both are high quality pedal power supplies that won't have hum in your pedalboard. I own 2 of the VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supplies myself and use them constantly in my cover band gigs on my pedalboard. I can vouch that the tube buffer works great for restoring my guitar signal and the power supply powers all of my pedals on my pedalboard.

Guitar George

• Members

What is the VHT worth? Thanks guys.

Hey UVguy,

The VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply brand new:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/VHT-Valvulator-I-Line-DriverPower-Supply?sku=150400 $239.00 new from Musicians Friend website.

I've seen the Valvulator I for a little over a $100.00 used. I paid $90.00 for a used VHT Valvulator I from the The Gear Page website. One of the DC output jacks was not working and I asked the seller to pay for the repairs. He sent me $35.00 to have it repaired. I basically paid $55.00 for my 2nd VHT Valvulator I.

PedaltrainPT-2.jpg

Guitar George

• Members

Hey UVguy,

The VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply brand new:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/VHT-Valvulator-I-Line-DriverPower-Supply?sku=150400
$239.00 new from Musicians Friend website.

I've seen the Valvulator I for a little over a $100.00 used. I paid $90.00 for a used VHT Valvulator I from the The Gear Page website. One of the DC output jacks was not working and I asked the seller to pay for the repairs. He sent me $35.00 to have it repaired. I basically paid $55.00 for my 2nd VHT Valvulator I.

PedaltrainPT-2.jpg
Guitar George

Is your VHT valvulator noisy? Mine has noticable transformer chatter. I'm wondering if I have a bad one or if they're all like that.

-W

• Members

Thanks Hamer. Do you have to buy the plugs from the VHT to the pedals separately? Sounds like this is the thing I'll need to get in time. Also where in the chain is the VHT best suited?

Hey UVguy,

If you buy the VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply new or used, be sure it has the 4 DC cables to go with it ( 2.1mm female to 2.1mm female). There are 3 9.5v DC output jacks (80ma max.). That means if you make a custom DC cable with multiple 2.1mm female jacks, you can power a number of pedals at 9 volts as long as you don't exceed 80ma. You'll have to check each of your effect pedals power consumption as to how much current it uses.

I used an Ibanez DC cable jack (4 2.1mm jacks) from one of the 9.5v DC output jacks to power the Area 51 wah pedal, Xotic RC Booster pedal, and Korg DT-10 pedal tuner. I use the 2nd 9.5v DC output jack to power the Visual Sound H20 chorus/delay since it has a higher current consumption (70ma). I use the 3rd 9.5v DC output jack to power an X2 XDS95 digital wireless system when I perform live.

I'm going to revamp the DC cabling for 3 of the pedals since I find the Ibanez DC cable is not long enough to put the pedals where I want and it has a straight 2.1mm female jacks instead of the right angle 2.1mm jacks that I need. I recommend Kobiconn 2.1mm right angle ends (part # 171-3215-EX, www.mouser.com) & Belden 8442 cable to make your own custom DC cabling.

Guitar George

• Members

Is your VHT valvulator noisy? Mine has noticable transformer chatter. I'm wondering if I have a bad one or if they're all like that.

-W

Hey starsnuffer,

I have no problems with noise when I use my 2 VHT Valvulator I. I do get some ground loop issues, depending on how the ground in the rehearsal space is. I usually reach for the ground lift switch on the right side of Valvulator I to either ground or lift the ground, depending if it gets rid of the hum. Considering I have my Area 51 wah pedals near my Valvulator I, I don't have the transformer chatter issue. You might want to check out your audio & DC cabling to be sure your cabling is in good shape and of good quality. Sometimes pedals don't like to be close to power supplies and will hum as a result of that.

Guitar George

Archived