GCX w/ pedals problem--Cont.

• Members

These may seem like dumb questions, but does anyone use a GCX to switch pedals in/out?

In a previous thread of mine, I posted that I found the problem I have, but I still haven't found a fix to using pedals in my GCX. The manual says it works at instrument and line level. But my pedals sound like crap.

Does anyone use a line leveler, like the Ebtech?

Thanks!

• Members

Where are you running your pedals in the chain? If you're running them at line level that's likely your problem.

If the pedals are the first thing in the GCX bypass the buffer and see if it makes any difference. The buffer causes problems with some effects (mostly vintage fuzz pedals) but I've also seen it with newer effects.

• Members

+1 on bypassing the buffer.

I use two Axess Electronics GRX4's that have the BS-2 buffer circuitry in them and with the buffers turned on, I was experiencing some crappy tones when putting pedals in...also I use a Boss Gl100 for spanky clean tones and was noticing a lot of breakup in the tone that went away when I took the buffer out of the circuit, so while the buffer does sound better SOMETIMES, it creates other problems as well.

I know I fought with my cleans clipping too easily and it was because the buffers were pumping my signal too much (I use EMGs, so I guess they don't need to be buffered quite as much as passives...)

• Members

I have 3 pedals and they're in loops 1-3. I found the buffer to be a problem as you guys mentioned, but the feedthru on the GCX has the same effect. The only fix I've found so far is to bypass both input/feedthru and go directly into loop 1, which is kinda cheesy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Problem Solved!!!! I just jammed for about 2 1/2 hours!!! :thu:

In case anybody is curious and use a GCX, check out the 8 prong buffer opamp inside. I had an old one and upgraded to the what DMC/VoodooLab uses now and it works perfectly.

If you have:

TLE2071--change to OPA134

TLE2072--change to OPA2134

They're easy to change because they're in a socket, not soldered. Cost is under $10. from mouser.com. :cool:

• Members

Problem Solved!!!! I just jammed for about 2 1/2 hours!!!
:thu:

In case anybody is curious and use a GCX, check out the 8 prong buffer opamp inside. I had an old one and upgraded to the what DMC/VoodooLab uses now and it's works perfectly now.

If you have:

TLE2071--change to OPA134

TLE2072--change to OPA2134

They're easy to change because they're in a socket, not soldered. Cost is under $10. from mouser.com.
:cool:

:thu:

• Members

Cool, you fixed it. I have an old GCX, and had to install the socket first before upgrading the opamp.

Ouch. I installed a socket on my TS9 to swap 808 chips. It sucked, removing the old chip. Sockets are the way to go, though.

Did you have the same problem I had? Did my thread actually help somebody else?...LOL.

Archived