Pre preamp multieffects

• Members

Does anyone have recommendations for a pre preamp multieffects? Looking mainly for it to do wah/whammy/harmonizing/OD type effects. One thing that it must have is a built in expression pedal input.

So far the only ones that I know of that has these functions are:

Boss VF-1 (minus whammy)

Digitech GSP1101

Budget wise, cheaper the better but I don't want to sacrifice tone for $. Depending on the unit I can be flexible. The GSP1101 is nice but I'll probably use only 20% of what it offers so it's not really necessary for me to go that route.

Anyways,

Fire away with recommendations guys!

• Members

The TC Nova System looks awesome for a floor-based multi effects.

I *think* it does have expression pedal input, pitch shift (whammy & harmonizing) and a drive section with overdrive/distortion.

But it's also $700, and includes a lot of time-based effects that you might not be wanting to put pre-gain.

• Members

Just buy a loop switcher and use a whammy pedal and an overdrive pedal or two. It'll either cost the same or be cheaper and you'd probably like it better. Nothing is really designed to do that except the Lexicon MPX-G2 and the G-System (minus the overdrive) which are both very expensive.

• Members

Just buy a loop switcher and use a whammy pedal and an overdrive pedal or two. It'll either cost the same or be cheaper and you'd probably like it better. Nothing is really designed to do that except the Lexicon MPX-G2 and the G-System (minus the overdrive) which are both very expensive.

The only loop switcher I know of is the GCX. Add a digitech whammy and an overdrive and I'm looking at around a good 500$~600$. Also, I won't have a Wah unless I extend two instrument cables from my rack's wireless to my pedal board. Im looking to decrease the amount of wiring I'll be running through so adding 40' of cable for a Wah just isn't practical for me. Thanks for the idea though! :)

• Members

I was thinking more of an Axess GRX4 which you could mount on a pedal board with your wah. Not only that you can run it off of most high quality pedal power supplies. Just put it in between your midi controller and the rest of your rack.

In that way you'd mount the wireless to the pedal board as well.

There's no good way to solve your problem. A G-System will give you both pre and post gain effects including the wah just no overdrive. Not to mention it has built in loops so you could run overdrive pedals in them.

Apart from that to solve your wah pedal problem the only things I can think of are a Line 6 Filter Pro and the Dunlop rack wah.

• Members

I use a Viscount EFX-10 effects processor in front of my combo purely for wah purposes and it does a good job for that. It also has a decent pitch shifter (although not a dedicated harmonizer), as well as 20 fixed distortion models plus a user option that features a two band parametric eq for shaping the tone of the dirt. Don't think there's a whammy function as such.

A Zoom 9150 preamp/processor has two effect loops with the second having programmable send and return points letting you put another preamp after the eq section (contains a wah model). The preamp section has several overdrive and distortion models. Don't think there's any whammy options. There is a pitch shifter as well.

I use an Anatek Pocket Pedal to convert expression pedal input into Midi data. I think Midi Solutions make an equivalent product these days.

Good luck with it.

• Members

I use a GSP1101 and am delighted with it. The post amp effects are also pretty good, and I've been very impressed with the speaker simulation (saves me miking up two cabs live!)

Yeah I've heard some clips of it and they all sound great, but buying this unit and only using 20% of it kind of makes it not worth the money for me... :cry:

• Members

Can you tell me more about how the Pocket Pedal works?
:)

This page pretty much sums it up I think.

And here is the modern day Midi Solutions equivalent.

Either of these little boxes make it easy to add an expression pedal to a unit that doesn't have an input for one built in. Good luck with it. :thu:

Archived