Rocktron Pro Gap and other favorite bargain Pre's

• Members

I've never owned a rack, but I recently won a Rocktron Pro Gap on the bay, don't even have it yet. I believe it's version one, the seller wasn't positive. I did some research, but couldn't get answer's to some of my questions.

-there's a GAP1? this one has cab sims? that's what amptone.com implied.

-Pro Gap, What are the differences in version? Only thing I came across so far was that one has a walwart and the other doesn't, but that one can't be phantom powered?

-Ultra, I have no clue what this has that's different

Also, I came across an old post that said the Ultra is a digital pre, but isn't it a bit old to be a modeler? I'm not sure when it came out though.

Here's that quote I came across via google:

"The original ProGap v1 and v2 are digitally controlled analog units, great sounding preamps even if they are SS. The Ultra is a digital preamp, it's basically the preamp that is in the Chameleon and Voodu Valve. Before you ask, yes, the VV is a digital preamp, it just feeds the signal through a tube between the preamp and effects sections."

My other question is. What other pre's do you like in the under 250 ebay gem category? Some i've seen mentioned and would like to hear thought's on:

-Hafler's

-Crate TDP

-Peavey Rockmaster

If you have some favorites, please describe the tone and what you like and don't like.

Thanks!

• Members

Well, I don't mind the spam really, but you could at least describe the tone a bit.

No, I'm not selling it...LOL. I was just going with your cheap/inexpensive preamps.

Anyhow, it has 2 channels. Ch1 has 5 modes and ch2 has 4 modes. It's got flexible routing options, offers tones for just about any player (especially clean), and is awesome for direct recording.

• Members

ART DST-4 is a good one that combines a tube clean channel, three solid-state distortions (one high gain) and a digital effects section. It has cab-emulating direct outs, can be controlled by two-button footswitch (basic) or MIDI (programmed) and can usually be found in the $100-150 range. I have two of them, one for recording and the other for live use, both used with tube power amps.

• Members

the Gap was the non-programmable ver of the progap (the pots and control HW weren't that great, I'd stay away from it)

The ultra had a cosmetic redesign and a few added features like a variac type starve ...but IIRC it was analog, basically an update to the Progap

(it wasn't a major overhaul though)

Here's that quote I came across via google:

"The original ProGap v1 and v2 are digitally controlled analog units, great sounding preamps even if they are SS. The Ultra is a digital preamp, it's basically the preamp that is in the Chameleon and Voodu Valve. Before you ask, yes, the VV is a digital preamp, it just feeds the signal through a tube between the preamp and effects sections."

My other question is. What other pre's do you like in the under 250 ebay gem category? Some i've seen mentioned and would like to hear thought's on:

-Hafler's

-Crate TDP

-Peavey Rockmaster

If you have some favorites, please describe the tone and what you like and don't like.

Thanks!

• Members

You can usually get ADA MP-1s on eBay for under $250. They're the industry standard as far as a good-sounding, flexible, and reliable unit goes.

For something less well-known, Check out the Jackson JX-3. It's lead channel is supposed to be modeled after the Mesa Boogie Mark IIc. Their value fluctuates pretty wildly. I've seen them go for as low as $75, and as high as $175. It's a good preamp, though. Not super high-gain, but it sounds good and has a really good clean channel.

• Members

I kinda figured that guy was wrong in saying that it was a digital pre, but what about the Chameleon and Voodu?

Also, do you know the difference between the ProGap version 1 & 2.

Thanks to all for the input thus far!

• Members

Whew - it's been a bit -- I don't recall a big diff - I think v2 dumped one of the control relays (for channel switchcing type stuff), they moved the FX loop control to a button and they added a second response curves (I think it would be a bit charitable to say this featur was a "cab sim" - more just a voicing filter)

The other stuff is past my time with the rocktron stuff

As far as just a purchasing decision - I'd suggest just go with the ultra

• Members

Interesting, thanks for the help.

I heard many people prefer the original's to the Ultra, but I guess I won't know unless I hear both.

I heard the Ultra was a considerably different tone.

• Members

hmm, I suppose it's possible (used to wrench and we carried Rocktron, so I had pretty good exposure), I didn't hear a big diff (you could MAKE the ultra sound different - with the variac setting, the two voicings so some of it might be settings), but they did come out at different times and the orig progap was...crap about 20 years ago.

I wasnt a big fan of some of the components originally specd

I suspect some of it is 'originalitis' - "yeah, but the original was magic"

Hell, they are cheap enough now where you could get em all and flip the ones you don't like

Archived