hissy sound from speakers?

• Members

hi, I want to ask a question because im not very happy with the tone im getting from my equipment.

this is what i have, bought all used

peavey rockmaster preamp

peavey classic 50/50 power amp

peavey 412ms cab

the problem is i can hear alot of hiss from the bass notes, treble notes its all good but bass its very noisy and I find it annoying. It is very evident in the clean channel and not so much on dirty.

I tested the preamp and I am sure its not at fault, actually i love this preamp it does everything I need.

I plugged in the power amp to the cab and tested and I can hear the hiss from the bass so im guessing its the speakers. I also wondered if it was my guitar pickups and tested them, its very evident on neck pickup, hardly heard on single coil and not as much on bridge pickup. I borrowed another guitar and the same happened so i doubt its the pickups.

is anyone experiencing this problem too? does replacing the speakers help and if so what speakers are recommended.

• Members

It could be a bad guitar cable...or bad preamp tubes. Sometimes if a connection is bad, that happens to me.

Those speakers are known for being very dark...so I doubt that it's your speakers. You could always try a different cab to eliminate that possibility though.

Good Luck.

Archived