Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petejt
    started a topic Digitech GSP1101 vs. Lexicon MPX G2

Digitech GSP1101 vs. Lexicon MPX G2

I have the opportunity to buy either of these.

The GSP1101 is brand new. The MPX is secondhand & comes with its own pedalboard controller.

But I want to use my own MIDI controller as it'll be controlling more than just a rack effects unit.

They both do effects, their own unique effects (Digitech Whammy, synths etc., Lexicon's top-of-the-world reverb), amp modelling, stompbox fx, guitar input.

They are pretty much the same thing.

But which would be better? I want to be able to programme whatever I want, and without too much difficulty. I can handle a Mesa/Boogie MarkIV rather well, compared to heaps that complain of too many controls.

I want to use this effects rack with another amp, in a wet/dry setup. I might slave in a signal from the MarkIV for stereo stuff too for a mix of sounds. And also I want to use the amp models as a temporary/emergency preamp.

I can get the GSP1101 for $1,100 I think, maybe $1,200.

The MPX G2 with the pedalboard (can't buy them separately), is $1,650.

I don't have much money right now. I have a tiny bit saved up, big credit card debt, and only earn $100 a week while looking for work in an industry that has crashed. But after a month I could be earning enough to buy it straightaway.

Money aside, which would be more suitable? Which would be more flexible? Which has a larger range of good-quality effects? (rather than just a few excellent effects?) Which is more adaptable? Which can be used with any MIDI system?

Please answer soon, thank you.

• bigjd
    replied
    I'm re-visiting this idea now, and also started to get some cash together (if I can sell my Engl Fireball).

I was reading through the Lexicon's manual last night, and although it has excellent effects and uses, the GSP1101 seems a lot more straightforward.
    What I need is a preamp with a few different flavours and tweak on the fly with proper rotary control knobs, and then just punch in some extra effects when I want, then save it all as a preset. Easy.

It seems like the GSP1101 is the ticket.

I finally pulled the trigger on one.I like the idea that i can use my MP-1 or Voodu Valve with it through the loop easily,my FCB1010 will interface with it well.The only thing I don't get with the FCB is the display feedback on the floor for tuning and stuff.
    Honestly I'm kinda hoping that it will sound pretty good straight into the PA back at me through a monitor.
    Love the sound and feel of my 4x12 but there are times when I'd really like a light load in.

Leave a comment:

• petejt
    replied
    I'm re-visiting this idea now, and also started to get some cash together (if I can sell my Engl Fireball).

I was reading through the Lexicon's manual last night, and although it has excellent effects and uses, the GSP1101 seems a lot more straightforward.
    What I need is a preamp with a few different flavours and tweak on the fly with proper rotary control knobs, and then just punch in some extra effects when I want, then save it all as a preset. Easy.

It seems like the GSP1101 is the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• drewl
    replied
    Well aside from the AxeFx which is 6x the price, what other modellers/effects units are similiar or better than the 1101?
    I've had or played lots of units and am very impressed with my 1101 so far.
    There's a few things I'd like different or more of, but so far I don't see anything in the same price range that would be more effective.

Leave a comment:

• methusalem
    replied
    I had the GSP for a while, but could never really dig it... just didn't feel right. It was my first modeler though, so I might just not be used to it.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Zappacat
    replied
    Not necessarily. It's a great effects processor in its own right. I don't often use the amp models at all, but I have two GSPs in my rig that get used all the time for effects.

Spacehog is probably right about this. Over the last couple of years I've had Digitech GNX400(guitar) and VX400(vocals). They both were very flexible but also VERY thin sounding. Their higher end stuff like what you are looking at should be a MUCH better sounding product. My favorite guitar processor EVER was a Digitech GSP2101 that someone stole from me in 2001. At that time it was STILL(circa 1994) an awesome FX machine. I've played through a LOT of FX units since then but few could match it for certain THICK sounds.

The biggest thing to me about buying either of these(besides the sound) is the ease of programmability using the computer. I assume that the Digitech and Lexicon both can be programmed extensively using the computer as a graphic user interface. It's much easier for me to program my patches and patch lists/order via a large screen versus twiddling with knobs and buttons while navigating through layer after layer of submenus. Good luck! They are both great boxes.

Leave a comment:

• Spacehog26
    replied
    If you don't need the amp models why are you looking at this? This unit played through a pair of power engines is amazing. If you're not going to use the amp models/cabinet sims you should be looking at something else.

Not necessarily. It's a great effects processor in its own right. I don't often use the amp models at all, but I have two GSPs in my rig that get used all the time for effects.

Leave a comment:

• Zappacat
    replied
    I don't really need amp models, but I thought it'd help save some space rather than have a separate preamp.

If you don't need the amp models why are you looking at this? This unit played through a pair of power engines is amazing. If you're not going to use the amp models/cabinet sims you should be looking at something else.

Leave a comment:

• petejt
    replied
    Well, at least for six months I'm putting all gear purchases on hold. This recession is gutting me worse than a dolphin caught in a ship propeller.

Leave a comment:

• flip333
    replied
    I've had my GSP1101 for a year. It is fabulous. Get the Control 2 floor unit, and you can set it up how you like it.

Sometimes at home, I don't want to turn my amp on, so I bought a nice headphone set. Very good sound into the headphone, and less annoying for the family. (Or for some people, neighbors).

I use it with a Mesa Boogie Mark III head and 2x12 cab. I use the 4 cable method (4CM) because I can get my original amp tone if I want. To tell you the truth, I like the modeled sounds too for some variety.

With the control 2, I have set up the "control" switch as a solo boost. On various patches, I set it up to include delay, reverb, an effect, modeled distortion pedal, EQ change, or wah. One push, and viola! It is seamless too. No abrupt changes because the delay and reverb spill over to the next patch smoothly before stopping.

I like the ducking delay function. I set up my delays so that when my playing gets busy, the delay is diminished. This offers a less mushy sound if I want a less mushy sound.

Many people do not like reverb because they have never heard good reverb. These are Lexicon reverbs and do what I want them to do.

I love the GSP1101.

Leave a comment:

• 1923ford
    replied
    you can check out www.lowmansjoe.com

there are 3 tunes on the website from our CD.

again, i use pretty minimal FX...and none of the modeling in the GSP. i only use it for FX.

you can also search for "low man's joe" on itunes.

Leave a comment:

• petejt
    replied
    get the GSP...it sounds great and is very easy to setup and operate. i use the 4-cable method with my elmwood modena and it sounds great. i can setup preset for FX only, slip in a clean model, or even an OD pedal in front of my elmwood...great design!!!

Any clips?

If so are they on http://www.netmusicians.org ?

Leave a comment:

• 1923ford
    replied
    get the GSP...it sounds great and is very easy to setup and operate. i use the 4-cable method with my elmwood modena and it sounds great. i can setup preset for FX only, slip in a clean model, or even an OD pedal in front of my elmwood...great design!!!

Leave a comment:

• petejt
    replied
    I had issues with the lag in switching between presets on the MPX.

That bothered me before, but I'm think now if it's really such an issue when run alongside a dry sound.

Leave a comment:

• petejt
    replied
    I just bought a new GSP 1101 on eBay for $374 USD from an authorized dealer who will ship to Australia. Unless my currency converter is screwed up, that's $575 Australian dollars, no?

Here's a link to his auction...

Should be close to that. Is the rate currently $0.68 US cents per Aussie Dollar?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X