Digitech GSP1101 vs. Lexicon MPX G2

petejt

• Members

I have the opportunity to buy either of these.

The GSP1101 is brand new. The MPX is secondhand & comes with its own pedalboard controller.

But I want to use my own MIDI controller as it'll be controlling more than just a rack effects unit.

They both do effects, their own unique effects (Digitech Whammy, synths etc., Lexicon's top-of-the-world reverb), amp modelling, stompbox fx, guitar input.

They are pretty much the same thing.

But which would be better? I want to be able to programme whatever I want, and without too much difficulty. I can handle a Mesa/Boogie MarkIV rather well, compared to heaps that complain of too many controls.

I want to use this effects rack with another amp, in a wet/dry setup. I might slave in a signal from the MarkIV for stereo stuff too for a mix of sounds. And also I want to use the amp models as a temporary/emergency preamp.

I can get the GSP1101 for $1,100 I think, maybe $1,200.

The MPX G2 with the pedalboard (can't buy them separately), is $1,650.

I don't have much money right now. I have a tiny bit saved up, big credit card debt, and only earn $100 a week while looking for work in an industry that has crashed. But after a month I could be earning enough to buy it straightaway.

Money aside, which would be more suitable? Which would be more flexible? Which has a larger range of good-quality effects? (rather than just a few excellent effects?) Which is more adaptable? Which can be used with any MIDI system?

Please answer soon, thank you.

• Members

i will probably be getting a gsp 1101. i like the computer software and multiple set up options. i will probably be running into a power amp and cabs but i like the idea of tweaking this on my computer as well as being able to record direct. i have heard some awesome created patches and heard some good things about this unit. sad to see digitech ignoring this product and focusing on the rp series. there are alot of pros using this unit in their setup.

queensryche uses these units direct when doing live shows. glen tipton of Judas priest used these on his last tour for his preamps.... and the guitarist for drowning pool uses these as well. there are others just cant remember them.....

• Members

I don't really need amp models, but I thought it'd help save some space rather than have a separate preamp.

Although, I REALLY like the Engl sound, so would probably get an Engl preamp anyway. I already have a Fireball amp head but if I get a rack then it would take up too much space. Everything has to fit on two 4x12 cabs side by side, and I already have a combo amp sitting on top of one of them.

• Members

I don't really need amp models, but I thought it'd help save some space rather than have a separate preamp.

Although, I REALLY like the Engl sound, so would probably get an Engl preamp anyway. I already have a Fireball amp head but if I get a rack then it would take up too much space. Everything has to fit on two 4x12 cabs side by side, and I already have a combo amp sitting on top of one of them.

with the digitech you can put your amp in the loop and use it for effects only and have the effects either before or after the amp head.

and you wont even need to get a rack preamp.... your head can be used! or you could just put the digitech in the loop of your amp and use the digitech as preamp while using the tube power section of your amp... that would be a sweet set up..... and no need to buy the other engl.

you can also set it up via the software that you use some of the digitech preamps on some settings and the engl preamp on other settings. this digitech is an awesomely versatile piece of equipment.

• Members

I have two GSP1101s, they're really flexible. I've used them as a standalone preamp, with a head as a basic effects processor, direct for recording, with a head for w/d/w, and as part of a bigger rack system. I've not tried the Lex, but the GSP's a great bit of kit, really reliable. Considering they're only about $500US ($785AUS), or

• Members
I have two GSP1101s, they're really flexible. I've used them as a standalone preamp, with a head as a basic effects processor, direct for recording, with a head for w/d/w, and as part of a bigger rack system. I've not tried the Lex, but the GSP's a great bit of kit, really reliable. Considering they're only about $500US ($785AUS), or

• Members

hey petejt

I am in Perth also, I'm running a GSP1101 with a mesa 20/20 poweramp, absolutley love it !!!!:thu:

Go the GSP1101 for sure.

Also , dont pay the $1200 retail for it, prices here in Oz are bullsh*t:mad:

I bought mine on Ebay from a company called Gigasonic, ended up getting the Gsp1101 and the control2 footswitch shipped for about $750 (thats right

for both). Mind you this was when Aus$ was about $0.85US., but would still be way cheaper.

And dont be scared about warranty or whatever, mine had a small glitch about a month after I got it, and I just contacted Gigasonic and freighted it back to them and they sent it to Digitech and it got repaired. Cost me about $50 in freight.

The only thing you will have to get is a stepdown transformer, about $90 from Dick smith.

Sir riff:rawk:

• Members

^^ G'day mate! :cool:

Are you north or south of the river?

I already do have a step-down transformer, I use it to run my Electro Harmonix and TC Electronic pedals that I bought from America. And my GCX Switcher & Switchblade once I finish off some other stuff.

I'm not ready to buy now, just can't afford it. Hopefully in a few months though, and hopefully the dollar rate will go up then. It's just that I saw the Lexicon in a shop one day and remembered seeing it there a few months ago, so it got me thinking. I was shocked at how much it cost. I'm hoping that when the Gmajor2 comes out in Australia they'll lower the prices on all the other rack effects to sell 'em off so there's plenty of room.

Where did you get your Mesa/Boogie 20/20 from? Locally, or overseas too?

• Members

Im North of river.

got the 20/20 2nd hand off Ebay (240v model)

have you been working on the mines or something ?

Yep I was in the Pilbara for two years. Then this economic crash came :facepalm:

Apart from the flies, I miss it. :(

Hopefully I'll be back there soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had issues with the lag in switching between presets on the MPX.

The GSP1101 is a great unit - especially being able to split up the unit to have some effects before your amp and some after...only downfall of the GSP1101 is that if you use an external amp in the loop of it - the noise gate comes BEFORE the loop, so if you have a noisy amp or preamp, the gate in the 1101 won't help you at all -- some people don't mind, but to a lot of people that want that functionality - it's a show stopper.

Digitech had promised a firmware update to allow the gate to be moved; but they have failed to deliver. HOWEVER, there is an unofficial firmware update available for it that not only allows the gate to be moved, but also gives you more effects, amps and cabinets...awesome unit... I parted with mine once after I got my AxeFX thinking I wouldn't miss it...but quickly obtained another because it's just a great little unit.

• Members

How reliable are the unoffical firmware updates.

Im picking up a 1101 in a few weeks and the control 2 also. Im just gonna build a small rack with a SS poweramp and probably a 1x12 cabinet just for bedroom jamming.

I dont wanna blow up my unit if i grab something im not supposed to

• Members

get the GSP...it sounds great and is very easy to setup and operate. i use the 4-cable method with my elmwood modena and it sounds great. i can setup preset for FX only, slip in a clean model, or even an OD pedal in front of my elmwood...great design!!!

• Members

I've had my GSP1101 for a year. It is fabulous. Get the Control 2 floor unit, and you can set it up how you like it.

Sometimes at home, I don't want to turn my amp on, so I bought a nice headphone set. Very good sound into the headphone, and less annoying for the family. (Or for some people, neighbors).

I use it with a Mesa Boogie Mark III head and 2x12 cab. I use the 4 cable method (4CM) because I can get my original amp tone if I want. To tell you the truth, I like the modeled sounds too for some variety.

With the control 2, I have set up the "control" switch as a solo boost. On various patches, I set it up to include delay, reverb, an effect, modeled distortion pedal, EQ change, or wah. One push, and viola! It is seamless too. No abrupt changes because the delay and reverb spill over to the next patch smoothly before stopping.

I like the ducking delay function. I set up my delays so that when my playing gets busy, the delay is diminished. This offers a less mushy sound if I want a less mushy sound.

Many people do not like reverb because they have never heard good reverb. These are Lexicon reverbs and do what I want them to do.

I love the GSP1101.

Archived