Digitech 1101 users need your opinions

• Members

posted this in the HCEF forum as well just trying to maximize my responses.

just like the title says.

let me know what you like and what you dont. do you use the preamps? just the effects? how are you using it? direct? with an amp? with a power amp and cabs?

been thinking a while about this unit and am interested in your opinions.

thanks.

• Members

I have two GSP1101s. Amp models are a mixed bag... some are great (Twin, Matchless DC-30, Vox AC-30, Legacy, SLO-100) some are only so-so.

I use mine in various ways, including:

* As a straight preamp-processor with a power amp and stereo 2x12

* In a basic w/d/w setup with a head inserted into the loop (GSP send > amp input, amp lineout > GSP return)

* Just for post FX with a line mixer

* For both pre-FX and post FX separately in my big rig

I've tried the 4 cable thing with a single amp, but found noise (ground loops I guess) to be a problem - others have reported this too. I've not tried any of the updated firmwares from http://www.mustbebeta.com/ yet. My big rig has a bunch of pedals, the two GSP1101s and a G Major in it, controlled by two Rocktron All Access boards.

• Members
The noise gate being BEFORE the external preamp is the #1 problem with that unit. Otherwise, it's awesome.

Third-Party Firmware fixes that though since Digitech doesn't give a {censored} about customer support.

Are you saying there is third party firmware that will let me put the different effects in the order I prefer them to be in, and if so, where do I get it?

• Members

i have two of them...and run them with an Elmwood Modena M60 Rackmount...and i think they sound great. i don't use any of the modeling preamps...just the fx. i have it setup with the basic 4 cable method...so i could run fx before my amp if i wanted, but i don't.

you can check out my band on itunes...search for "low man's joe"

also on lowmansjoe dot com.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm loving the wahs!

My old unit had the distortions before the wahs which sounded very bad, I could have sworn I was using my real CryBaby last night!

i've never had a tap tempo delay before, might take a little bit to get the hang of that.....

I have the "Control" switch on the Control2 set up as a volume boost for solos which is very handy for my needs and doesn't alter the tone.

The FX sound awesome

The biggest problem for me will be what to put where!

There's so much here!

I love the distortions!

I've never been a high gain amp player, but I like having those options....might take me little bit to get those sounding right.

• Members

Same here!

Something important I noticed:

telling the GSP what amp you're running into makes a huge difference.

I set mine up running into a "flat amp" setting and it was very brite and trebly with my Pro Reverb at last weeks gig.

I changed the setting to "US tube combo" and it sounded so much different and so much better.

So depending what amp you're using it with, changing that setting makes a big difference.

• Members

Ive had mine for about 2 weeks now I love it the control 2 is a must have also that thing is a tank. I havent tried the mustbeta updates im a little parinoid ill blow the thing up.

When I got mine, I took them home from the store to try out (sort of on loan) they had the version 1.3 firmware loaded. I ran the official firmware update to version 2.0, the updater crashed on me 6 times! I was nervous to begin with, then I was just pissed. I called the store to tell them I broke their unit, and then ran the update one more time and it worked. Needless to say, I was relieved. When I went back to the store to pay for it, they all just laughed at me... As usual.

• Members

All I gotta' say is WOW!

I'm so freakin' happy! Played the second gig with my 1101 now that it's all dialed in and the sounds were just great. Got compliments all night running it into my proreverb.

Now I have to wait until saturday for the next show.....ahhh...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I use mine with the 4 cable method and a PV SS 2X12. I love it. It's so versatile. Great for high gains stuff particularly. My favorite models are the JCM900/Bassman/AC30/Mesa 22/Digitech Metal. I have the aftermarket firmware which added several amp models like the JC120/5150/RG100 etc. I use Korg's AX3000G as a MIDI foot controller which is cheap and not a bad fx box itself.

Archived