versatile, affordable tube preamp?

• Members

What are some versatile yet affordable tube preamps? I really dig the Bogner Fish and CAE 3+, but those are (obviously) not affordable. MIDI capability would be sweet but is not necessary. 3 channels would be nice. I'm leaning towards the ADA MP-1 right now. Used is fine, not trying to pay over like $300. Thoughts?

• Members

Carvin Quad X-Amp. Later models had standard MIDI connections. 4 Channels, clean to hi-gain, parametric EQ, noise gate. The reverb is only OK though (thankfully there is an effects loop on each channel).

I currently run, Fireworx, Eclipse and Axe-FX, but I still won't take the Quad X out of my racks! Good stuff.

FW

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The most versatile is the Randall RM4 or Egnater M4. You get tired of one of the 4 channels you just pop in a different module. With the number of people modding the modules there is virtually a unlimited number of tones you can get.

• Members

The most versatile is the Randall RM4 or Egnater M4. You get tired of one of the 4 channels you just pop in a different module. With the number of people modding the modules there is virtually a unlimited number of tones you can get.

yeah the rm4 is only like 450 plus each module at a min of 120 a piece.:poke:

i'd say mp1 but a modded one is the way to go.....from what i've heard anyway. i personally use a hafler/digitech t3 > ibanez dmd2000 > stereo eq > bbe > tube power. the hafler switch is simple so to add another controller isnt that bad. i think theres a hafler for sale here in the amps section.

• Members

While it is not tube, I really like my Rocktron Chameleon. It is one of the older units but I only paid $55 and I think it sounds great and is extremely versatile but it takes a long time to tweak.

• Members

+1 for the Carvin Quad-X. Especially because you mentioned versatillity.

Second channel has excellent clean tones. Channel 3 good rock tones. And Channel 4 will peel paint with the best hot rodded marshalls of the 80 (IMHO).

:thu:

Archived