How to wire/order future rack?

• Members

I'll be setting up a pretty basic small rack setup in the next month or so, and i'm pretty new to all of it, so i have a few questions.

The rack will consist of:

Furman M-8x Power Conditioner

Korg DTR-2000 Rack Tuner

Line 6 XDR95 Rack Wireless

ISP decimator pro rack G

Now, my question is how to wire the whole thing together? For example, does the tuner go in the loop, or does it go in front of the amp? The order listed above is what i'd like to start with, but if I should rearrange it, let me know.

Also, if it helps, I use an Orange RV50 Head, which has an effects loop.

• Members

here's how i would do it

wireless -> tuner -> decimator -> amp. why? i would think that a pre-preamp guitar signal into the tuner would be better than a post-preamp into the tuner, but i could be wrong... the tuner IS true bypass right?

• Members

Korg DTR tuners suck tone... you'd be much better splitting a signal off to the tuner so it's not inline with the tone. If your wireless has 2 outputs (maybe a jack and an XLR?) then run one to the tuner - you can run both at once. The pro rack G is the one that connects both before the amp and in the effects loop? Generally, when connecting stuff up, I'd recommend experimenting and seeing what sounds best - you may find that the "wrong" way sounds better for your particular application!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i am also new to this rack business.

my question is cables? is there any cable kits out there, i use mainly monster cables. id buy them seperately, but was wondering first if there is a better/other alternative in wiring up a rack with a good signal at a fair price. i want no more than a 6-8 space rack, thanks

• Members

i am also new to this rack business.

my question is cables? is there any cable kits out there, i use mainly monster cables. id buy them seperately, but was wondering first if there is a better/other alternative in wiring up a rack with a good signal at a fair price. i want no more than a 6-8 space rack, thanks

YES.

• Members

To be fair, most cables you find will be better than Monster... overpriced junk - they have to give it a lifetime warranty because they break so often (and they don't sound good when they're not broken). As Saturnine says, make your own - Neutrik connectors and some decent cable (Mogami if you're in the US, but it's horrendously priced in the UK and Europe... I get great results with Van Damme cable that's much easier to source over here). Only way to get all the cables the length you want them anyway.

Archived