• Members

OK...our contestants are...

1. Rocktron Xpression

2. Boss GT-Pro

3. Digitech GSP 1101

4. TC Electronics G-Major

5. TC Electronics G-Major 2

6. Lexicon MX400

I wanna hear strengths and weaknesses of each, where the perform better or worse, and if you had to choose one, which one would it be and why!

:idea::wave::confused::thu::evil:

• Members

The GT-PRO is basically a BOSS GT-8 pedal in rack form. GT-8's sound good, the interface is managable, but there's alot of routing options, and you may not need the amp modelling built in.

Havn't used the lexicon, but it appears to be mostly focused on reverb... altho, lexicons reverbs are usually quite good, i'd say it wouldn't be the most versitile piece. no effects loop, but you wouldn't want to put reverb IN FRONT of your preamp anywho.

The G-Majors have found their place in quite a few racks. their interfaces are good once you figure them out, and TC electronic gear always sounds good when i have heard it. the G-major 2 adds some filter models and whatnot, but hardware wise, they appear to be almost identical. no effects loop, so 4 cable method is useless if you wanted to use its effects BEFORE your amp/preamp. but hey, maybe you don't want to.

The digitech is in the same boat as the Boss, in regards to including amp modelling. some say it sounds better, i wouldn't know. the GT's interface is more appealing to me. this one takes up less rack room, so if you wanted amp modeling in a single space rack... *shrugs*

the rocktron has one of the more cumbersom interfaces that i've seen, and no effects loop *again, that might not be a problem for you*. no amp modelling, so you won't be paying any extra for that, 1U space.

i'd probably go for a G-Major myself, usable sounds, 1U, amp channel switching possibilities *i only see that the G-system and the GT pro can do this*, and an easy to use interface. a G-SYSTEM would be my main choice if i could choose any, but you seem to be on a budget. The GT-PRO is HECKUVA versitile, but if you don't need the billions of connections and the amp modelling, you might be paying alot for things you don't need.

• Members

I havent tried all of these, but I can tell you that the G-Major is a great rack effect for the price. I havent had any trouble with it, most of the concerns I have heard about it are from the knobs wearing out and such, I bought a floorboard controller for it to cut down on all the scrolling I was doing. Great for recording/studio work. If you want to use it live, get a good sturdy case for it.

I am only now getting into creating my own patches, it comes with some great presets as well. I highly recommend it.

• Members

I think a dedicated footcontroller for rack units is a must and that's where Digitech really shines. No guitar cords on the floor, the controller is powered by the 1u unit.

set up/break down is ridiculously fast and easy.

• Members

I think a dedicated footcontroller for rack units is a must and that's where Digitech really shines. No guitar cords on the floor, the controller is powered by the 1u unit.

set up/break down is ridiculously fast and easy.

Sorry but that doesn't separate the Digitech from the rest. All the other ones can be midi controlled meaning no guitar cords either. Most midi floor controllers support powered midi so only 1 midi cable.

• Members

Difference is, a 7-pin MIDI cable (for phantom power) isn't particularly easy to lay your hands on in a hurry. A cat 5 cable you can pick up just about anywhere. That said, I don't run the Control2 because it's very limiting for what I'd want my rig to do. Love the GSP1101 though (and the G Major - the two complement each other well) - the amp modelling etc is a huge step beyond the Boss GT-Pro to my ears, although the stomp box modelling is less so. It also has Lexicon reverbs built into it, which are excellent if you like reverb (I'm not a huge fan of reverb on guitar)

• Members

Even though by strange coincidence my company is making a ton of CAT5 cables so I have plenty of all different lengths for my 1101, I liked the MIDI cable better that my ValveFX used, available at any music store.

I said "Dedicated" foot controller, as in designed to work with the unit.

If standard midi controllers work as well with the other units than it's not as big a deal as I thought.

Do standard controllers have tuner functions/readouts? and well they must have expression pedals, tap tempo switches?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived