GSP1101: second thoughts

• Members

Since I got this piece, I could never really figure out whether I wanted to keep it or sell it.

Well, now I'm actually starting to lose sleep over it.

Yeah, it's very convenient to record silently, it has some cool sounds in it, etc...

BUT, I don't like the gate at all... and you need it with lead sounds/gainy rhythm sounds. I'm used to my Rocktron/Egnater Vendetta, and that thing is DEAD quiet even with the gain maxed out.

On the other hand, I want a more manageable rig than the Vendetta....

I already have an Intellifex, and an ADA MP-1, and I figured the GSP and maybe a Marshall 8008 would complement each other really well with the other pieces. Well, I'm not so sure anymore.

I really only use the SLO and Legacy models, and even those need a parametric EQ and some sort of drive to sound right. They sounds pretty nice though, I have to say.

The FX are cool, and I really dig the reverbs, but I want more parameters!!! For example, the step filter sounds great, but you can't even really program it, just the speed and intensity!!! Whammy and Harmony sound ok and track ok, but I vastly prefer the IPS-33B I tried once... of course that's just from memory, so I might be glorifying that piece of gear.

Also, while some of the stompbox emulations are cool, I like building them myself, and think that the ones I build sound better... especially fuzzes.

I guess I'd just like to have separate units doing their own thing, but better. For example, the Intellifex slays the GSP1101 in terms of delay and chorus.

From reading this, I guess it looks like I should sell it, huh? But it's just so convenient to be able to just hook it up to my PC...

Do you think I could get similar results without a poweramp and using a speaker emulator together with the MP-1 and some FX/EQ?

Sorry for the long rant guys,

but even a unit like the GSP is a pretty big investment for me as a high school student. It's also my first exploration in the realm of modeling, so I don't want to give up early, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Andy

• Members

Besides a bunch of great vintage amps and wonderful sounding clones I've built, I've also built some awesome sounding fuzzes/distortions and pedals.

Of course the real things sound better, but I really don't want to drag them out to gigs.

I've only had my 1101 for 3 days, but I'm very pleased with the amps and distortions. They are light years ahead of my old ValveFX (whaddya expect from 90's technology?) and the effects in this thing sound great.

I bet with more tweaking you'll get better sounds. Personally i don't need too much flexibility in the effects, but every player is different and it might not be enough for your needs.

There's always a tradeoff..

• Members
I'll sell it if I can get a buyer.. otherwise I'm gonna keep it.

Andy

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer. I was in exactly the same position as you. I bought an 1101/Control 2 package a few weeks ago and liked it real well, but it was only a matter of days before I decided if I was going to consider giving up my tube amps for a rack mount processor I might as well go all the way and get an Axe-FX, which I did. I listed my 1101/C2 package on eBay and it sold in less than a week.

• Members

Probably sold it to me!

Anyway, there's alot to tweak I think, but hey it might not be right for you and that's all that matters.

I'm really loving mine, some of the models sound dead on and I don't really use alot of high gain stuff so noise is not a problem.

One I noticed is it makes a big difference setting what amp you tell it you are using in the set up wizard.

At my first gig with the 1101 it was very bright and trebly into my 67 pro reverb, and the wood floors and low ceiling didn't help either.

I had it set to run into a "flat amp"

when I changed it to US tube combo it sounded much better, the tone was balanced just right.

• Members

Cool, thanks guys...

I think I'll try listing it on eBay.

How much did yours sell for, NyteOwl?

Andy

Used 1101s by themselves are selling on eBay in the $350-$375 range. My package included an 1101, a Control 2, a brand new pedal board case for the Control 2, a USB cable for the Editor that Digitech did NOT include, and an extra Cat5 cable for the Control 2, everything in the original packaging with warranty cards. Sold for my BIN price of $650 four days after I listed it.

If you want more parameters get an Axe-FX. For even more parameters, get an Axe-FX Ultra. Yeah, depending on the model it'll cost cost you 3-5 times more than an 1101, but I think it's money well spent. I haven't even scratched the surface of what my Ultra can do, and I can honestly say that, for me anyway, it has a lot more "right out of the box" usable patches than the 1101 does.

• Members

no, i missed out on bidding for 3 of them. some go better price. some were 250BIN and I would try to bid under and the would go a little lower than 250. I know what Im talking about.

Hey Untraceable,

how long ago was that?

Right now there's not one on eBay that's under 440 bones...

Thanks

Andy

• Members

must have been early febuary cause I had my tax return check back already or was about to receive it (filed early as hell). I went to my egay account hoping to see if the auctions were still in the did not win category and there was nothing. Could be a post tax return market upturn. Only thing that really kept me from pulling the trigger was knowing it was going to be 175-225 for the control 2 also. got a pod pro and floorboard for 225 instead.

Isnt there a couple different sellers with them for 379 BIN brand new too.

• Members

must have been early febuary cause I had my tax return check back already or was about to receive it (filed early as hell). I went to my egay account hoping to see if the auctions were still in the did not win category and there was nothing. Could be a post tax return market upturn. Only thing that really kept me from pulling the trigger was knowing it was going to be 175-225 for the control 2 also. got a pod pro and floorboard for 225 instead.

Isnt there a couple different sellers with them for 379 BIN brand new too.

No man... last time I checked cheapest was like 447 something or other...

How are you liking the Pod Pro?

• Members

well, I had a 2.0 bean so there isn't much difference. kinda took away my new gear hard-on. sounds better than the bean and with the floorboard it really opens it up. very flexible I/O on it. Its exposed that I need to retube my poweramp. looking to get a 1101, 2120, $$$$AXE-FX$$$$$ next year.

Archived