G major 2 or Nova system?

• Members

I'll most likely be purchasing one or the other within the week and I don't know what to go with. I like the fact that the nova is in itself a pedal and can be switched without going back to the rack. I think the Gmajor 2 has more options but the price + a good midi foot controller is getting a bit out of hand.

So basically do you guys think a Gmajor 2 + foot controller is worth the extra price over the nova?

• Members

I've heard VERY good things about the Nova. My concern about the G Major 2 is that it's still too new to judge on reliability or stability.

3 weeks in use, no reliab./stab. issues yet!

• Members

Yek I have G Major version 1 now, thinking of unloading it to other guitarist and getting version 2. Hows the Intelligent Harmonizer on that thing, just for leads? Hoping the effects are even better than the 1.

• Members

been too long since I used the GM-1 so I cant compare directly. But I have jo issues with the pitchshifting on the GM2. I use low octaves, 7ths, whammy and intelligent, and it does that with no problems at all. Tri-Chorus is beautiful, Univibe is great with clean signal (less with dirt). Only issues are the routing (limitations when using it in a parallel setup) and sometimes switching presets isn't gapless.

• Members

Cool. I use serial loop. Is the patch change gap big? Maybe it's just a software tweak it can be fixed with. I sat down with my GM-1 last night after having for over 3yrs I guess and made it do things I didn't know it would do, lol. Gonna order GM-2 today.

• Members

Cool. I use serial loop. Is the patch change gap big? Maybe it's just a software tweak it can be fixed with. I sat down with my GM-1 last night after having for over 3yrs I guess and made it do things I didn't know it would do, lol. Gonna order GM-2 today.

No, not that much. Especially in series (with dry kill off) it won't be a problem.

Success!

• Members

I used the Nova system for a while basically as a rack case replacement, run into Input 2 on my Mark I. The GM2 is certainly a lot more powerful than the Nova (heck the GM1 is more powerful than the Nova) as an effects processor, but unless you have larger more complex plans get the Nova.

Basically, if the Nova has EVERYTHING you need then get it and don't worry about anything else. If it doesn't, then get the GM2 and a Midi controller and start building a rig.

The only real reason I came off of the Nova after I parted out my rack rig was because I never used 90% of what it's capable of, and I wanted some very specific distortion tones that I was unable to duplicate with the Nova. I did actually really like the 'drive' effects in the Nova, I just really wanted something different.

• Members

Well I have a rig already and Im just looking for a good effects unit. I don't want anything crazy because I never use harmonizers or pitch changing stuff. Im looking for good solid stereo delays, great clean chorus, and the like. I don't even plan on using the OD from nova on my system. BB preamp pedal into my mesa studio is heaven already and I'll never change that. Just want good staple effects that are easy to carry with me and easy to program and change.

• Members

I will seriously consider replacing my G Major with a G Major 2 in 6 months or so once I've seen some serious long-term road tests. It's simply not been out long enough yet IMO - I'd never buy any piece of hardware or software these days until there'd been a firmware update or two. But if I were starting from scratch and going for a simple floor-based setup rather than a 12U rack with huge pedalboard controller, I'd choose either the Nova or the M13 (or perhaps the G System and a handful of choice pedals).

• Members

I just bit the bullet and bought the G-major 2 to replace my G-major. The main reason being some of the added features (primarily a wah). I will be gigging it every weekend with my cover band, so we'll see how it lasts.

Archived