HELP! New to rack gear, help me build my rack

• Members

I am moving to Boston for Berklee, and I need to reduce the size of my rig, without loosing any sound or versatility. I currently use A Peavey XXX, and a vast array of foot pedals and other goodies like that jamman. Now this may be a very stupid question but with a rack set up can I eliminate the need for a obnoxiously large head, but still get the same amount of power and tone that i get from my tubes? I would also like to have the ability to use many different types of effects and distortions without having a buffet line on the floor in front of me. I know this can be achieved using preamps and effects processors with midi capabilities, but I cannot seem to find any good advice as far as where to start, or what I need to get started. Something I can use from day one, seeing as I will most likely not be able to afford all of the stuff I need at the same time.

HELP!??!?!?!?!?!???!?!

Thank ya much.

• Members
4 Space rack

Power Conditioner

Digitech GSP 1101

VHt 2:90

Control 2 foot controller

Whatever you want for a cab.

Take the money you'd spend on the Digitech GSP 1101, Control 2 Foot Controller and VHT 2:90 and invest it in a Fractal Audio Axe-FX. Practice with headphones, go direct to the board at gigs.

• Members

Take the money you'd spend on the Digitech GSP 1101, Control 2 Foot Controller and VHT 2:90 and invest it in a Fractal Audio Axe-FX. Practice with headphones, go direct to the board at gigs.

+1 on the Axe-FX.

I've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on gear over the years and the Axe-FX is the one piece that can replace just about everything.

It's a little expensive for that first bite, but it's saved me ten times as much in other gear that I would have kept buying to do half of what it does.

Still can't bring myself to go direct at gigs, I don't have enough faith in house PAs to rely on them so I still use my own power amp / cabs.

There are alternatives, for sure...

Might I recommend a Randall RM4 or Egnater M4 modular preamp for a preamp and possibly a G-Major for effects and a decent tube power amp.

That was my main rig for years and it's a workhorse.

Archived