Multiple Preamp question

• Members

Hey guys. Im currently running a PSA1.1 into a ADA B200s poweramp, with a G major in the PSA's loop.

I love this set up but Im wanting to add a ADA mp1 pre into the mix as well, for some other tone options, especially when it comes to the distortion department.

Question is, whats the best way to have the two preamps set up? I dont intend to run them together any time soon, just wish to choose between each, plus have the gmajor work with both. Id like it so that I can hit a button on my floor controller and go from MP1+ Gmajor to PSA1 plus gmajor all running through the B200s.

Im sure this is simple for you rack vets :)

Also, in my country any rack gear is stupidly expensive and second hand gear hard to get, so the cheaper the option the better

• Members

Yeah I had found the Voodoo lab stuff online during my searches. Main issue I have with that is that there is no distributors of Voodoo labs stuff here in New Zealand, so getting my hands on any would cost alot. Especially when needing two units for it. If possible I would like something that works with my current midi foot controller.

But thanks I will be keeping this all in mind

• Members

Yeah I had found the Voodoo lab stuff online during my searches. Main issue I have with that is that there is no distributors of Voodoo labs stuff here in New Zealand, so getting my hands on any would cost alot. Especially when needing two units for it. If possible I would like something that works with my current midi foot controller.

But thanks I will be keeping this all in mind

There should be a dealer in Australia that you could order from.

• Members

...Main issue I have...is that there are no distributors of Voodoo labs stuff here in New Zealand, so getting my hands on any would cost a lot. Especially when needing two units for it. If possible I would like something that works with my current midi foot controller.

Well, the problem is you do need two units because your current MIDI foot controller cannot do the job alone.

Your MIDI foot controller needs to be connected to a MIDI controllable looping device. Your pre-amps and G-Major will be connected to the looping device and that will be programmed to route your signal into the various signal path configurations you desire. You'll need one loop each for the pre-amps, and routing your G-Major through the effects loops of the two preamps is no small feat either because you want to keep the pre-amps isolated from each other.

Question 1: What kind of foot conrtroller do you currently own?

Question 2: Are you running your power amp in mono or stereo?

Question 3: Do you have to pay an import duty or tax on overseas purchases?

Regardless of your answers, petejt's suggestion to use a VooDoo Labs switching system is the one I would go with, too, so you may want to consider purchasing a used VooDoo Labs GCX and Ground Control Pro. I suspect your total out-of-pocket costs, including shipping, would be under $1000 USD ($1800[+/-] NZD). In addition to letting you select between your two pre-amps, the GCX will also let you run the G Major in both pre-amp effects loops while keeping the pre-amps isolated from one another, as shown below.

gcx.effects.jpg

Also, keep in mind that each GCX loop can be configured as part of a pre-set, so although there are three loops involved, the G Mjor Send/Receive loops would be part of the the pre-amp selection loop pre-set, so you would only need to step on one button to turn all three loops on or off.

Even if you choose not to go with the VooDoo Labs gear, I hope this will at least give you a better understanding of what it will take to accomplish what you're after.

• Members

Thanks for all the help guys :)

To answer NyteOwls questions

Footcontroller; Behringer FCB1010 (nothing fancy)

Yes I run my power amp in stereo, and have my Gmajor running stereo in my loop.

Yes Goods and Service Tax (12.5%) applies to inbound products over around 400NZD

From what I have seen the Voodoo labs gear does jump out as the ideal set up. Unfortunately it is currently out of my price range, and due to the differences in power output etc I am limited to looking for second hand models in Australia and New Zealand. Getting rack gear in this country is a real pain in the ass :(

• Members

I've had GCX units and the Axess GRX4 and the Axess is considerably better for this sort of thing.

1) It's $259 (USD), whatever that translates into NZD

2) It's small and fits in the back of a rack so it doesn't take up an extra space.

3) It will allow you to switch between 4 different preamps or 3 preamps and use one loop for channel switching on a unit that does 1/4" switching (like the G-Major does also)

4) It's super easy to program

5) It uses less cables than the GCX because it has jumpers internally between loops.

• Members

Yeah I just had a read into it. It does sound like a nice product.

It would mean that I would need to run the G major after the two preamps as opposed to in the loops. Would this make a large difference to tone and effects?

$259 USD comes to $464 NZD due to the terrible economy at the moment It wouldve been around $330-$350 6 months ago :(

Archived