How do I set up a graphic equalizer?

• Members

I have a vintage Ibanez dm 100 digital delay running the dry signal straight to the amp and a mixed signal to an art 31 band graphic eq. I know there are endless possibilities when setting a qraphic equalizer, but I don't know ANY of them!!! And, all I really know about an equalizer is that as you go to the right of your faders, the sound frequencies your changing start to get higher in register. CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

forever grateful!!!!!!!!!:mad::confused:

• Members

This is all over the internet...might be a good general start:

FREQUENCY:

USES:

50Hz

1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, toms, and the bass. Peak equalization with a 1.4 Q.

2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on loud bass lines like rock. Shelf equalization.

100Hz

1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..

2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0..

3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns. Peak Equalization. For piano use a Q of 1.0. With horn use a Q of 1.4..

4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..

200Hz

1. Increase to add fullness to vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0..

2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar ( harder sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

400Hz

1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0. Alternately try a shelf EQ with a 320 Hz frequency setting.

800Hz

1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

1.5KHz

1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4..

2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3KHz

1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

7. Increase for more attack on the snare or other drums. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

5KHz

1. Increase for vocal presence. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Increase low frequency drum attack ( foot / toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

3. Increase for more "finger sound" on bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

4. Increase attack of piano, acoustic guitar and brightness on guitars (especially rock guitars). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

5. Reduce to make background parts more distant. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

6. Reduce to soften "thin" guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

7KHz

1. Increase to add attack on low frequency drums ( more metallic sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

2. Increase to add attack to percussion instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

3. Increase on dull singer. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

4. Increase for more "finger sound" on acoustic bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

5. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 2.8. Sweep frequency slightly (between 7 kHz and 8 kHz) to find the "exact" frequency of the S

6. Increase to add sharpness to synthesizers, rock guitars, acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4.

10KHz

1. Increase to brighten vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Increase for "light brightness" in acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3. Increase for hardness on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

4. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

15KHz

1. Increase to brighten vocals (breath sound). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Increase to brighten cymbals, string instruments and flutes. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3. Increase to make sampled synthesizer sound more real. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

• Members

To the person who posted the original reply to this thread. THANK YOU. I owe you a big favor dude. BUT now I have....... ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!! DAH-DAH-DAAAAAHHHH! Ok enough with the antics. What do the terms "Hi-Pass" and "Low-Pass" mean in relation to a graphic equalizer and what is the difference (that is plainly a little obvious) between the two?

• Members

High pass filters allow high freqs and low pass filters allow low freqs to pass through.

Example: Low pass set @100Hz will allow 100Hz and all freqs below to pass and eliminate all freqs above it. High pass set @ 1KHz will allow 1KHz and all freqs above to pass and eliminate all freqs below it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyway, below is an excerpt from a really good article in MusicTech magazine. Most of the info applies to post-production equalisation at the mixing desk, but it is VERY useful for eq'ing in the effects loop or in front between the guitar and amp.

It is a table of the positive & negative aspects of Frequency Ranges. It's useful for identifying which frequencies are "muddy", "boomy", "harsh", an also good for clarity, warmth, body etc.

Because I can't get things to align properly, I've written them as "Pro/Con".

Low Frequencies

30Hz-50Hz = Deep Sub-Bass/Wobbliness

50Hz-100Hz = Bass/Boomy

100Hz-200Hz = Power/Heavy

Low-Mid Frequencies

200Hz-300Hz = Deep Mid/Muddy

300Hz-500Hz = Warmth/Boxy

500Hz-600Hz = Body/Middy

High-Mid Frequencies

1kHz-2kHz = Up-front/Nasal

2kHz-3kHz = Clarity/Thin

3kHz-6kHz = Presence (Aggressive)/Hostile