Planning an experiment into modeler/preamp overkill

• Members

A friend of mine has a home studio that went from being used for personal projects to pro work, and bought a variety of amps, cabs and rack gear. It's a very cool collection of gear, but of course takes up a lot of space. He and I are working together on a new side project (he's a drummer) and I want to demo song ideas at home that I can bring to him. It'd be cool to have the same selection of gear, but that's physically and financially impossible for me. I already have some cool preamps of my own, and have picked up a few modelers, and want to try finding "the tone" by demoing them all at once, each to its own track. I'm not yet set up to do all of them at once, but might do a couple at a time to see if my idea will work. Here are the units I'm going to try out:

- Line 6 TonePort USB (from GearBox Gold bundle)

- Digitech RP150 USB

- Peavey Rockmaster through Rocktron MultiValve processor on cab emulation setting (direct 1/4")

- ART DST-4 preamp w cab emulation output (direct 1/4")

- Johnson J-Station (direct 1/4")

- Korg 104ds HyperDistortion pedal w "cabinet resonance" and mixer/PA output (direct 1/4")

I'm going to try as many combinations as possible, but was curious if anyone has tried recording a rack preamp *through* a digital modeler, bypassing the amp models but using the cab models. If so, does it sound better than running the preamp direct to your recording interface? I haven't decided on an interface yet, so I'm thinking that (for example) running the Rockmaster preamp right into the TonePort might sound better than the Rocktron processor's late `80s cab emulation technology.

• Members

A friend of mine has a home studio that went from being used for personal projects to pro work, and bought a variety of amps, cabs and rack gear. It's a very cool collection of gear, but of course takes up a lot of space. He and I are working together on a new side project (he's a drummer) and I want to demo song ideas at home that I can bring to him. It'd be cool to have the same selection of gear, but that's physically and financially impossible for me. I already have some cool preamps of my own, and have picked up a few modelers, and want to try finding "the tone" by demoing them all at once, each to its own track. I'm not yet set up to do all of them at once, but might do a couple at a time to see if my idea will work. Here are the units I'm going to try out:

- Line 6 TonePort USB (from GearBox Gold bundle)

- Digitech RP150 USB

- Peavey Rockmaster through Rocktron MultiValve processor on cab emulation setting (direct 1/4")

- ART DST-4 preamp w cab emulation output (direct 1/4")

- Johnson J-Station (direct 1/4")

- Korg 104ds HyperDistortion pedal w "cabinet resonance" and mixer/PA output (direct 1/4")

I'm going to try as many combinations as possible, but was curious if anyone has tried recording a rack preamp *through* a digital modeler, bypassing the amp models but using the cab models. If so, does it sound better than running the preamp direct to your recording interface? I haven't decided on an interface yet, so I'm thinking that (for example) running the Rockmaster preamp right into the TonePort might sound better than the Rocktron processor's late `80s cab emulation technology.

I use my rocktron xpression mainly for cab simulation on direct recording. It sounds cool with all my preamps ;)

Archived