In need of a rack effects processor

• Members

so I'm coming from a Line 6 HD 147 with shortboard rig and moving to a rack setup (triaxis/2:90). I've grown accustom to some of the effects that were built into the HD 147, specifically delay, chorus, wah and although it isn't an "effect" I've actually found a use for the Octaver amp model (which I think is just simply fuzz and an pitch shifter added to an already overdriven amp model), so I'd like to duplicate that "sound".

Anyway, I am in need of an effects processor that can handle all that. In short, some delay, some chorus, a wah, some fuzz/distortion and pitch shifting. I was thinking a G-major but I've just recently realized it doesn't have any wah. Is that right? What is the right rack mount processor for me?

• Members

Midi controlled wahs... suck. Usually. Exceptions seem to be the Axe-FX (never heard it) and the G-Major 2 (never heard it in person). So you'll be hard-pressed in that respect.

Also, fuzz/distortion comes BEFORE the preamp, your chorus, delay, etc. should go AFTER the preamp.

What I just thought about: You might want to go with a GSP1101, that one has some pretty good tones in it, and you got stompboxes + wahs + all the other stuff you mentioned.

• Members

Yeah, the GSP1101 does meet most of the requirements there, although I don't like the wah at all (don't like Crybaby-sounding wahs anyway, that's why I have two Morley Bad Horsies).

Well, my requirements for wah are pretty simple, I really only use it for accents and adding a little mojo to the end of songs, but I don't want to be without it. And I think I'm the opposite of you, I prefer the crybaby type wah over the bad horsie, I've got one and never really took to it, though I think it has as much to do with the no switch on/off as it does with its sound as I never took to that functionality either.

I'll take a look see at the GSP1101, thanks!

• Members

Also, fuzz/distortion comes BEFORE the preamp, your chorus, delay, etc. should go AFTER the preamp.

Normally yes, but considering that the combination fuzz/pitchshift that I desire is really used as an effect in and of itself (to copy the amp model that uses that combination in the HD 147) I don't think that moving the fuzz to be in the effects loop will really "hurt" the sound that I'm going after. On the other hand it may sound like complete doo doo.

Though I have my doubts that anything I try will duplicate that amp model, though I've gotta try because I actually use it quite a bit...

• Members

Oddly enough I've been preferring the sound of delays, pitch shift, chorus/phase/flange etc. before the amp models like you'd have stompboxes set up. You can place them before or after with the GSP1101, other units probably have this option too I guess.

I use wahs alot and the 1101 has a Cry Baby and Clyde, both sound good to me.

• Members

I like it both ways for different things. Certainly chorus before a high-gain sound is messy, but chorus before a clean or lightly breaking up sound is pretty cool. I have a chorus pedal in a loop before my preamps and then my rack processors for post-amp chorus. On the GSP1101 you can set the chorus to come either before or after the loop anyway.

• Members

I find the effects to be clearer before the preamps on the 1101 and when placed after the amp they can cut the volume, but then you could jack up the effects volume to compensate.

Being able to have a wah on every preset on the 1101 is also handy for me.

Archived