Thoughts on SKB XRack cases.

• Members

Thinking about buying 2 of the 4u versions, giving me 8 spaces total to rack gear. They have stackable molds and it is easier to transport than a single 8u rack. They're also really shallow and I like that.

I've never built a rack before, so this is where I'm starting. I'd like to build one similar to this:

He uses those xrack cases. He says he uses them for the reasons I stated. I don't want to lug a heavy 8u space around, nor do i want a refrigerator-on-wheels rack.. lol

Here is my most important concern. On musiciansfriend the description says its only 10-1/2 inches deep, and ive heard of racks 19 inches deep. Will all standard rack equipment fit? He has a recto preamp and vht power amp that fit, but im worried he may be using a different model rack case or something.

This is the one i'm going to buy. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-RotoMolded-XRACK4-Shallow-Rack-Case?sku=544542

Would a big power amp like a 2/50/2 really fit in there?

On a side note, I hear people rack mounting guitar wireless units. When they come packaged in the box, they seem to be a little unit with antennas that isnt rackmountable. So how do people go about doing that?

• Members

The X-Racks are pretty shallow. I have two of them - one houses my in ear monitor transmitters, and the other a couple of bass preamps. I have plenty of gear that will fit in them, but also plenty that won't, particularly if you want to leave cables connected to them. A Marshall 8008 power amp, for instance, is too deep. Most effects processors etc will fit fine (except some of the old stuff that was huge!).

SKB do make deeper racks too, a couple of different models, that are 15

• Members

XRacks are great for light, shallow gear, but by the time you're up to 4U worth, the weight is such that I personally would want something a little more solid. I have a 3U XRack a preamp, HUSH and power conditioner, and a "Stagg" XRack knock-off with a 3U power amp. They stack nicely and work great for navigating stairs and doorways where a single larger case would be harder to handle comfortably. However, I have another rig with a power amp that is only 2U but deeper and much heavier, and I wouldn't want to rely on a XRack for something like that even if the case was deep enough.

• Members

The X-Racks are pretty shallow. I have two of them - one houses my in ear monitor transmitters, and the other a couple of bass preamps. I have plenty of gear that will fit in them, but also plenty that won't, particularly if you want to leave cables connected to them. A Marshall 8008 power amp, for instance, is too deep. Most effects processors etc will fit fine (except some of the old stuff that was huge!).

SKB do make deeper racks too, a couple of different models, that are 15

• Members

I'm not a fan of the SKB Roto-Rack, though I like their ATA cases well enough. As previously mentioned, the X-Racks are great for shallow effects units, tuners, power conditioners and the like, but anything deeper than 8" and you might run into cabling issues...

• Members

AHA, I got him to give me the right one. It's this one

http://www.casesandmore.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=SK1111&refid=FR5-SK1111

It's not on MF interestingly enough. I know what to get now.

I'm not a fan of the SKB Roto-Rack, though I like their ATA cases well enough. As previously mentioned, the X-Racks are great for shallow effects units, tuners, power conditioners and the like, but anything deeper than 8" and you might run into cabling issues...

Why aren't you a fan? Anything wrong with them? What makes ATA cases better? Are they the little ones with wheels on them? I might change my mind if you convince me as i dont know alot about racks

• Members
AHA, I got him to give me the right one. It's this one

It's not on MF interestingly enough. I know what to get now.

Why aren't you a fan? Anything wrong with them? What makes ATA cases better? Are they the little ones with wheels on them? I might change my mind if you convince me as i dont know alot about racks

You're looking at a newer design than the ones I'm familiar with. The older ones had rear panels similar to the shallow racks and weren't weather tight, plus they seemed deeper and bulkier than the ATA cases...

Archived