Help me build my rack?

• Members

Hi

Im going to start building my rack soon, and I really need some help in the particulars of it all because Im totally new to this. Here's what I'm planning: I will have a dbx 266xl 2 channel compressor, TC G Major, 3 stompboxes, all going into loops on a Rocktron Patchmate Loop 8, all housed in a 6 space rack and controlled by a Rocktron MIDI mate. I want to have phantom power from the patchmate to the MIDI mate. What MIDI cables will I need to give phantom power to the MIDI mate, and what cable would I need to go into the G Major to control effects changes in it? Can anyone give me a little tutorial on how I should go about this construction?

Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You need a 7 pin midi cable, not the regular 5 pin in order to receive Phantom power from the Patchmate to the controler (as long as the Patchmate has that option, cant remember) All other conections can be made with regular 5 pin midi cables.

• Members

oh I also forgot: What about patch cables? can you tell me how many of these are necesarry? do I need patch cables going in and out of all the loops on the Rocktron loops? or can I just use the loops I need?

You would just use the loops you need. A cable from the Rocktron to the stompbox and one from the stompbox to the Rocktron. You also need a cable to go between the loops so figure 3 cables per loop for stompboxes in series. If you run separate signal chains, like stuff in front of the amp and stuff in the amp's FX loop, you will need a few more.

The best thing to do would be to explain how you want to run everything. Do you want the pedals in front of an amp and everything else in an amp's FX loop, or some pedals in the FX loop... Then people can give you specific help.

• Members

You would just use the loops you need. A cable from the Rocktron to the stompbox and one from the stompbox to the Rocktron. You also need a cable to go between the loops so figure 3 cables per loop for stompboxes in series. If you run separate signal chains, like stuff in front of the amp and stuff in the amp's FX loop, you will need a few more.

The best thing to do would be to explain how you want to run everything. Do you want the pedals in front of an amp and everything else in an amp's FX loop, or some pedals in the FX loop... Then people can give you specific help.

I think that pretty much answered my question. I wasn't sure if I needed cables going through all of the loops or not, but now I see I don't. Stomp boxes, compressor, and G Major are all going in front of the amp because the twin doesn't have an FX loop.

Thanks a ton for the advice!

Archived