G-Major 1/2: how to ignore the relay switch setting?

• Members

I want to use the G-Major 2's relay switches to switch stuff.

But there's one issue that keeps me from it: I don't know how to tell the G-Major to switch NOTHING. In other words: to ignore the relay switch setting / to maintain the current amp channel.

Example: I want to use the G-Major 2 to change channels on my amp. I can use CC's to accomplish that. But I don't really want to include channel switching in presets, or in ALL presets. Suppose I have a preset named Tape Delay. When selecting that I just want to activate the effect (by changing presets), and keep the CURRENT amp channel, regardless of it's the clean, crunch or gain channel.

It doesn't seem possible because the G-Major's menu forces me to choose a relay switch configuration and always executes it when activating that preset. Of course I don't want to duplicate all presets in order to assign them to all available amp channels, like 1) Clean delay, 2) Crunch delay, 3) Hi-gain delay.

So what I'm really looking for is an IGNORE / CURRENT setting or something.

Am I overlooking something here?

• Members

But there's one issue that keeps me from it: I don't know how to tell the G-Major to switch NOTHING. In other words: to ignore the relay switch setting / to maintain the current amp channel.

Example: I want to use the G-Major 2 to change channels on my amp. I can use CC's to accomplish that. But I don't really want to include channel switching in presets, or in ALL presets. Suppose I have a preset named Tape Delay. When selecting that I just want to activate the effect (by changing presets), and keep the CURRENT amp channel, regardless of it's the clean, crunch or gain channel.

It doesn't seem possible because the G-Major's menu forces me to choose a relay switch configuration and always executes it when activating that preset. Of course I don't want to duplicate all presets in order to assign them to all available amp channels, like 1) Clean delay, 2) Crunch delay, 3) Hi-gain delay.

I'm almost postive it's not possible to do that. You're going to have to duplicate all the presets.

• Members

Yeah :-( That's really a shame. Can't be that difficult to add a setting (like IGNORE or CURRENT) for this to the Relay menu. And I can't imagine I'm the only one who's running into this.

• Members

You can do that with the G-System only (as long as we're talking TC-gear). It's yet another reason why i got mine ;)

With the G-Major, you can program the different effects like you use them at most, and store them in the same preset. Then you can switch the effects blocks in and out of the chain via CC, just like you can control the relays.

I used to do like that with my G-Major and fcb1010 :thu:

• Members

Ah yes, that's the Relay Lock or something in the G-system isn't it?

I do use CC's to switch individual fx on/off within presets. But I often need different variations of effect blocks, therefore a preset switch is necessary.

Maybe a future software upgradewll taje care of this. Can't be hard to implement.

• Members

Maybe a future software upgradewll taje care of this. Can't be hard to implement.

I suppose so, but i hardly think they're gonna do it. The G-Major v.1 has been around for ages, and they never implemented it there. I can only cross my fingers, and hope for the best. That would make my G-Major useful again :D

• Members

A Gordius Big Little Giant. Probably the most advanced MIDI controller around now.

I was just wondering, cause i remembered, that the fcb1010 has two relay switches also. They could be utilized instead of the ones in the g-major, and in that way you could avoid switching channels on your amp while switching presets. Any midi -> relay type of thingie would do that trick ;)

Check this one out:

http://www.rjmmusic.com/ampgizmo.php

• Members

Yeah, I understand. I do have other switchers already: Axess CFX4 and Axess GRX4. It's just that using the G-Major for this would be easier and less hassle because it's already in the rig.

Archived