JMP1 Gain question

• Members

Try Higher gain tubes in it? Contact Doug from Dougstubes.com and ask him for some Highgain Tubes. The Mullard RI 12ax7 is very highgain to start with. The EH 12ax7s can be found graded for highgain. Samething with the Chinese 8th Gen or 9th Gen tubes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

jj803s tubes are longplates and TECHNICALLY they are slightly lower gain than the highest gain 12ax7 tubes BUT they may sound higher gain 'cause of beefier output and more brightness-you may want to try these. In my Tubeman Pedal -which is a full voltage 12ax7 but also uses some diodes and other stuff similar to JMP1- it made it sound more tube and less solid state,brighter and more output-I think you'll hear a difference with these. The JJ 83s(not the one I mentioned above) IS a higher gain tube -I have one but haven't tried it yet(pain to change tubes in the old H@K pedal).So I'm guessing 'cause every device is different but if you want the JMP1 to sound narlier and nastier-I'd use the JJ83sHigher gain;If you want the JMP1 to sound like somebody gave it a shot of steroids-beefier,fatter,more output slamming your power amp use the JJ803s Longplate- and if you want to use both use the longplate in the first tube socket for quietest performance and the 83s second.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I tried some high gain RFT tubes in mine as recommended by Watford Valves in the UK. Sounded just the same to me. I wouldn't bother. I did however buy a stock Boss SD-1 and used it as a clean boost before the JMP1. Sounded much better to my ears!! Either that or get a new Bogner Fish or Triaxis...

• Members

I did however buy a stock Boss SD-1 and used it as a clean boost before the JMP1. Sounded much better to my ears!

What he ^^ says. Lots of rock players use a SD-1 (keep gain low, level high) to boost the input of their amps.

Archived