Rocktron Users.

• Members

I'm thinking I want a new pre-amp.

Pros and Cons of the Voodu Valve and it's big brother the Prophesy?

I presently use and love my MP-1 into a G-Major,but its getting old, and is gonna need a cap job and other upgrades.So I need a pre to fill the gap.

• Members

I just sold a Prophesy. Great pre. Very versatile, but it takes some time to get used to the controls and how to navigate the menus. I used a FCB1010 to control it and ran it through a Peavey 60/60 tube amp. It sounded great.

• Members

I just sold a Prophesy. Great pre. Very versatile, but it takes some time to get used to the controls and how to navigate the menus. I used a FCB1010 to control it and ran it through a Peavey 60/60 tube amp. It sounded great.

Basically he same set-up I'll be using ,:thu:thanx for the input

• Members

I have a Voodoo valve and the other guitarist in my band uses a Prophesy. I like the Prophesy but prefer my Voodoo valve. The prophesy interface is annoying to me. It has preset spillover and uses two tubes at higher voltage than the Voodoo valve but the Voodoo just sounds better to me. I also like the cleans from the Voodoo.

The great thing about these two preamps is the pre and post distortion EQ. You can really get them to sound like anything with enough tweaking. Rocktron's higher end stuff is highly underrated IMO.

• Members

Had the Prophesy II. Sounded good I guess but I didn't think it was worth the amount it costs and I didn't like the amount of tweaking. Always end up messing with the unit more than playing. When I think of Rocktron's distortion I always think of a more compressed sound.

Used it with a Mesa 50/50. Had big low end. 7 stringers love it because of that and the pre & post EQs (which are annoying IMO) but thats not relevant to you it seems.

Had the Chameleon (original version) which is just like the Voodu without the tubes. Thought it was cool considering it costs way less than the Prophesy and I didn't think there was a big difference in sound. Again though, not for me, interface is too annoying and too much tweaking.

Had the Piranha too. Sounded more tube'ish than the others, guess from the higher voltage and preamp tubes in it. Is pretty trebly & bright. Sold it because I thought my FJA modded Peavey Rockmaster sounded much better.

If you buy any of the units (not so much Piranha) make 100% sure you are ok with spending time tweaking to get your sound. They are all decent units.

• Members

^^^^^

This is very true. There is a pretty steep learning curve with the Prophesy, but once you get a few basic preamp sounds dialed into it, it gets easier to build off of them. I honestly only used 3-4 different base sounds, but used them in 10 or so different configurations. Having the MIDI ability to switch between them instantly and control multiple settings with the analog pedals on my FCB1010 was awesome. I could use one pedal for volume and the other for gain sweeps or whatever.

I also bought mine used at a much reduced price. I don't think I could stomach buying one at retail, but they are a good bang for your buck setup with the used market prices.

• Members

I have the voodu valve and I love it so much. I hear the effects are better in the Prophecy but I adore the VV's cleans like nothing else. The stock presets are mostly {censored} like everyone says but they show off what the thing can do. The pre and post EQs, also like everyone says, can give you any sound imaginable and makes it indispensable for recording. It has a big learning curve, I'll tell you that much...but if you put in the time it's really worth it.

It works pretty well live, just make sure you have a power amp with presence control on it. You'll find that alot of presets sound fine at home when you're turned way down but might be overly bright unless you turn down the presence for the whole unit.

I have the most recent version with the blue tube on it. Get that one. It supposedly sounds better than the past versions because of some changes in circuitry or something. I forget what Jim at Rocktron told me about it...

• Members

I have a Voodoo valve and the other guitarist in my band uses a Prophesy. I like the Prophesy but prefer my Voodoo valve. The prophesy interface is annoying to me. It has preset spillover and uses two tubes at higher voltage than the Voodoo valve but the Voodoo just sounds better to me. I also like the cleans from the Voodoo.

The great thing about these two preamps is the pre and post distortion EQ. You can really get them to sound like anything with enough tweaking. Rocktron's higher end stuff is highly underrated IMO.

Wait, the Prophecy has two tubes? I didn't know it had tubes in to begin with!. Why the hell aren't they shouting this from the rooftops?

• Members

My mistake, I thought based on the other guitar players comments that it was tube. I just checked the rocktron site and it definately is not. I wonder if he even realizes it's not tube. I won't tell him. He'd be crushed.

Oh well, In this case it sounds pretty good but is WAY overpriced IMO.

• Members

My mistake, I thought based on the other guitar players comments that it was tube. I just checked the rocktron site and it definately is not. I wonder if he even realizes it's not tube. I won't tell him. He'd be crushed.

Oh well, In this case it sounds pretty good but is WAY overpriced IMO.

Yeah it's digital distortion,enhanced by a toob.But for me I need the versitility of it and my MP-1 is getting tired and needs to go to the doctor for a cap transfusion.

They seem to hold their used value pretty well too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I got myself a Voodu, and so far it's full of very useable stuff.

My only hang-up so far is getting the CC's to talk from my Voodu to my FCB1010

I want to be able to assign one EXP for Wah and the other as volume.

Anybody got a clue or insight?

I'm using the MIDI editor from a laptop to navigate the menus in the Voodu. Very fast and easy to set-up presets that way.

• Members

There's one on musicgoround.com for 500. If you're not familiar with music go round, they're a national chain of used music store franchises, and alot of the places will sell you crap over the phone and ship it out of state. That's how I got my Midi Mate board for so cheap. You can also search craigslist nationwide. I've found that quite a few people are more than willing to ship you something if they'd be making a good deal of money off selling something...like a preamp for example

• Members

Well I got myself a Voodu, and so far it's full of very useable stuff.

My only hang-up so far is getting the CC's to talk from my Voodu to my FCB1010

I want to be able to assign one EXP for Wah and the other as volume.

Anybody got a clue or insight?

I'm using the MIDI editor from a laptop to navigate the menus in the Voodu. Very fast and easy to set-up presets that way.

Do you have the updated chip in the FCB1010? There is a FCB1010 Yahoo list that has a ton of great info on them if you are having trouble. It's been several years since I replaced the chip and programmed mine to talk to the Prophesy, but it was working well. It did take some time to figure out the FCB1010 program "language".

• Members

Do you have the updated chip in the FCB1010? There is a FCB1010 Yahoo list that has a ton of great info on them if you are having trouble. It's been several years since I replaced the chip and programmed mine to talk to the Prophesy, but it was working well. It did take some time to figure out the FCB1010 program "language".

I have the chip but I haven't installed it yet. I was thinking I would see if I could get them to talk together the way I want first.

I guess I'll be installing it tonight:facepalm:.

My major hang-up is getting the wah to work.Program changes are fine,but I want the exp pedals to work.

The unit I got WAS off of music go round and it was ALOT cheaper than 500.00, a couple of hundred less by the way.

So far I'm really digging the pre-amp,but to me the effects in my G-Major are way better sound.

Archived