Ridiculous Question About Engl 530 Preamp

• Members

Is it possible to warm up and smooth out the gain on an Engl 530 so the clean channel is more Fender-like and the crunch and overdrive instead of metal would be more Plexi -Like and 80s Marshall tones by swapping tubes like 5751s and maybe 12azy or 12ay7s? To get it to sound more like a warmer version of a JMP1 marshall(minus the diode clipping harsh solid state edge the JMP has ). The thing is well made, cheap, has good ins and outs,runs the tubes at true hi voltage, just that it's made for modern metal instead of classic tones. So, anybody swapped tubes on their unit to warm it up and fatten it up?

• Members

Short answer: If you're not an EE or tech, nope.

Why'd you get this preamp if you want a totally different tone?

You could try different tubes, it works pretty well with the Rocktron Piranha, but if you screw something up (doubt it, but always possible) I'm pretty sure you'll have voided the warranty? Does it say in the manual that one should only use 12AX7's?

• Members

I didn't get the preamp, if I did it would be as a platform to have a Tech modify it. Why not get a tube pre that I already like the sound of? Almost no one is making tube guitar preamps which run at true voltage. And of those very few , it seems like it's more difficult for them to be properly voiced, meaning its easier for them to make an amp head that sounds good than a preamp. If you spend 3 grand for a Bogner Fish, or the CAE 3 + SE this isn't true,of course,those are great . and the ENGL E 570 is almost warm enough but that's almost 2 grand and I'd still have to get it modded for non metal warmth.

• Members

Engl Kramer, are you able to get good cleans and crunch from it as is ? Or do you use it mostly for metal ? Is it warm enough to do a convincing Gimour or EJ type tone or am I correct that it would need some mods for that.I read a review on the unit and sounds like it could be great but is not quite voiced for the stuff I do. But the quality is there and could just be a matter of putting lower gain tubes in there to get a sweeter clean sound and Marshall ( maybe better) vintage and warm eighties sounds out of the 2 lead modes. It has way more gain than you need right? So possibly lowering gain of tubes like 12ay7s or 5751s would do it.I've also heard that it could use more bottom end and I'm talking about using inthe studio as apposed to power amp and speakers.Ever use ths direct out into a cab simulator like Amplitube or even a POD XT without the modeling? Just cabs ane efx and into the DAW? Thanks and I'll check that forum you suggested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Engl Kramer, are you able to get good cleans and crunch from it as is ? Or do you use it mostly for metal ? Is it warm enough to do a convincing Gimour or EJ type tone or am I correct that it would need some mods for that.I read a review on the unit and sounds like it could be great but is not quite voiced for the stuff I do. But the quality is there and could just be a matter of putting lower gain tubes in there to get a sweeter clean sound and Marshall ( maybe better) vintage and warm eighties sounds out of the 2 lead modes. It has way more gain than you need right? So possibly lowering gain of tubes like 12ay7s or 5751s would do it.I've also heard that it could use more bottom end and I'm talking about using inthe studio as apposed to power amp and speakers.Ever use ths direct out into a cab simulator like Amplitube or even a POD XT without the modeling? Just cabs ane efx and into the DAW? Thanks and I'll check that forum you suggested.

Sorry for the delay in replying- not used to the way this forum works so I keep missing replies- duh.:rolleyes:

I'm not the best guy to ask I'm afraid. I occasionally play with a clean sound but I am normally just looking for metal tones which of course the Engl does magnificently.

I am usually the first to arrive at rehearsals and I do enjoy playing atmospheric spatial effect type stuff before the guys arrive.

This is using channels 1&2 which sound beautiful to me.

I have seen people argueing the toss about the versitility of the e530 which just reinforces the fact that these things are of course subjective.

For me its cleans and crunch channels sound way better than the Marshall and Laney heads I have had but I'm not claiming to be an expert in these fields.

Have a look at this clip, I always thought it showed off the versitility of the channels pretty well.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Awesome, that is the first time that I have seen one of my recordings put in a forum. Almost any 12A_7 tube type should work great. If you need a different sound get a power amp with presence, and resonance, and try a few different speakers.

That Peavey 50/50 worked great as a power amp. You can also replace the fan with a quieter one since I think that is the only down side to that power amp. I had put in a 12V wall wart adaper in it that I soldered the original fan's wires to. That was powering an Antec 3 speed computer fan, and it worked great!!! It had a higher air flow, and was a lot quieter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes , as I've heard on other clips,anything beyond the clean channel has a subtle high frequency "buzz" or "fizz" , and I've thought of actually snagging one of these used and have it pro modded. These tones may be cool for metal , but classic rock or Fusion,(even Randy Rhodes) requires a warmer smoother overdrive. I've heard clips of the ENGL E 570 and that IS smoother but it's about $1100.00 over the 530 price. Thanks for your input-I'll check the ENGL forum. I know these are great for metal, but if you tried to dial up a smooth Gilmour type tone the pre would be too harsh, but I can hear the basic quality so it might be a good preamp for pro modding.

Archived