Anyone running 2 power amps?

• Members

as hard as this may be to fathom....vht 2/90/2...

trouble is if I turn up the power amp too much I get an unwanred distortion..

if I set the preamp at the desired 9 o'clock setting , power amp is too low to cut thru...if I turn up the preamp, it will get loud as hell but not the desired 9 o'clock tone I want......what a dilema...

• Members

If you're not getting enough power with a VHT 2/90/2, you're doing something wrong.

Maybe the real problem is the preamps shortcomings.

Either that or put an effects unit between the JMP-1 and the 2/90/2 and use it to attenuate your signal.

?

• Members

I have one in the loop of the jmp-1 (replifex)...the problem is that live I go direct out from the preamp's speaker emulated o/p's ...if I move the effects unit to be placed right befor the power amp, I loose the effects thru the PA mix...I will experiment with this: split my 2 marshall cabs into 2 8ohms cab per each...go from 1 side of vht to 1 side of 1 cab,,,other side of vht to other side of cab...add carvin ts100 amp and split that the same way to my other marshall cab...this in effect will give me 4 2x12 cabs...2 running 90 watts each and 2 running 50watts each...hopefully the spread will put me over the db level I need to be at with my preamp set low...what do you think?

• Members

Sounds like it could be a speaker issue. the 2/90/2 does not really break up until it is crazy cranked, so I think that with the additional volume you may be getting cab resonance or speaker break-up that you do not like. Try a new cab with higher wattage speakers is my suggestion. Good luck.

• Members

I think that all of you are right...I tried the 2 amp theory and it did zero difference or improvement ...must be my gain structure ...soooo...I sent away for 2 new 12ax7's made by electro-harmonix....I heard these have a pretty good gain tone...

• Members

Maybe the tone is just really bad and you don't notice it until it's loud? Perhaps you have high frequency hearing loss?

Try starting from scratch and programming the JMP-1 when the volume is loud, instead of trying to make a bedroom patch sound good live.

-W

• Members

I'm guessing that the preamp just isn't what you're looking for and can't deliver the goods.

That 2/90/2 is a workhorse and an all around kick ass power amp, I'd say without a hesitation in the world that it is not the bottleneck in this problem.

• Members

yeah my mesa 50/50 is more than enough so its hard to believe the vht wont cut it. whay the 9 o clock position? is that what most of you guys do? just wondering cause i keep mine around 1 o'clock. then i boost it a lil more with an eq after the pre and my cleans stay clean

• Members

It's really weird, my band and all of our fans say my guitar sound/tone are perfect "don't change a thing" ...yet I don't see it....I ear a good guitarist thru a Bogner Extasy or 8 stacks of Marshalls and I'm thinking"if only I could get that sound"...is it just me?....is the grass not greener on the other side?

• Members

It's really weird, my band and all of our fans say my guitar sound/tone are perfect "don't change a thing" ...yet I don't see it....I ear a good guitarist thru a Bogner Extasy or 8 stacks of Marshalls and I'm thinking"if only I could get that sound"...is it just me?....is the grass not greener on the other side?

Welcome to tone GAS.

• Members
I have one in the loop of the jmp-1 (replifex)...the problem is that live I go direct out from the preamp's speaker emulated o/p's ...if I move the effects unit to be placed right befor the power amp, I loose the effects thru the PA mix...I will experiment with this: split my 2 marshall cabs into 2 8ohms cab per each...go from 1 side of vht to 1 side of 1 cab,,,other side of vht to other side of cab...add carvin ts100 amp and split that the same way to my other marshall cab...this in effect will give me 4 2x12 cabs...2 running 90 watts each and 2 running 50watts each...hopefully the spread will put me over the db level I need to be at with my preamp set low...what do you think?

I think you should try going preamp > effects unit > power amp, forget about the preamp's speaker emulators and mike your cabinets to see what that gives you...

• Members

I think you should try going preamp > effects unit > power amp,
forget about the preamp's speaker emulators
and mike your cabinets to see what that gives you...

Seriously, take note of what I underlined in NyteOwl's post.

The speaker emulations is most likely interfering with the signal level of your preamp's output. Just use the preamp normally connected to the poweramp and speaker cab/s and hear how it sounds.

• Members

I played a gig last Saturday night and it went well ...again my tone/sound was complimented a lot.....I received the new EH tubes and mounted them in the JMP-1 ...in my studio/garage, the amp sounds better to my ears .. a bit lower o/p but .. more pleasing to me ...gain seems tighter and more defined.I boosted the mids up just a little ..I'm playing this sunday a will be using this setup ...hopefully all will work itself out.

Archived