What do you think of this rack?

• Members

I'm Thinking of going rack. What do you think of this rig? Any suggestions?

ENGL SPECIAL EDITION PREAMP E 570

X2 Digital Wireless XDR95 Wireless System

Marshall EL34-100/100

TC Electronic G-Major 2

Eventide Eclipse

Furman PL-PLUS DMC POWER CONDITIONER with VOLTMETER / AMMETER

KORG DTR1000 Rack Tuner

VOODOO Labs Ground Control Pro - MIDI Foot Controller

VOODOO Labs GCX Audio Switcher

Still just in the planning phase...

• Members

The dual monoblock is a kickass poweramp. They're just really big. If you like the marshall sound, that will get you there. We did a tour last year and the guy who opened for us (Ty Oliver I think) ran the engl preamp with that poweramp through two Mills cabs and it sounded huge.

I'm questioning your need for an eclipse with the g-major 2 though. Unless you have this gear you would be better served using an axe-FX as your fx processer (it's very easy to simply not use the amp sim blocks). It's more poerful then the g major and eclipse and you'll have the option, with creative routing, to use the cab sims and send a direct signal to the front of the house and also use the amp sims for whatever the ENGL won't do for you (like saggy recto tones or Vox clean tones) in the same amount of rack space.

You also don't need the tuner either way. The g-major has a tuner built in, so does the axe-fx and eclipse. If you MUST get a rack tuner, get the stroborack.

You can also get a better switcher/looper and footswitch but you may have picked the voodoo for price reasons.

-W

• Members

Thanks for the input guys! I really love the Marshall stuff and I'm not a fan of mesa stuff. I would love to check out the axe-fx but I haven't been able to find a Canadian dealer and at over two grand none of the stores here would stock it so I wouldn't be able to try it out first.

• Members

I run an Engl E570 with the matching 850/100 poweramp and a G-Major II. It's a killer set-up and I really don't need anything else in this rack. If you get a chance, check out the 850/100 poweramp with this pre. I've tried it with a Mesa 2:90, VHT 2/50/2 and 2/90/2, as well as the Randall RT2/50. The 850/100 sounded superior to all of these. It was made for the E570 specifically and it compliments it perfectly. This combo is the SE head in rack form and it sounds nearly identical.

• Members

The dual monoblock is a kickass poweramp. They're just really big. If you like the marshall sound, that will get you there...

You also don't need the tuner either way. The g-major has a tuner built in, so does the axe-fx and eclipse. If you MUST get a rack tuner, get the stroborack.

+ 1 in regards to Marshall power amp. Most Mesa snobs have never used one/heard one properly set up! hehe

+1 for pro-stroborack (mine's the Peterson rackmount)

RIG_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The ENGL E 570 is an excellent really versatile preamp from the demos ( not live) I've heard. If it had a Vintage/MORE Vintage switch for smoother hi gains and a spongier mode - man it would be great ( not for metal,but I don't do metal). But I heard a few demos online with guys pulling LOTS of nice cleans and crunches from that unit -and it's smoother than most ENGLs-isn't it. A guy who has the Blackmore Sig. head said no way he could get Blackmore's smooth tones out of his amp - but the E570 would do them easily I'll bet.Chime on you 570 guys- let me know if I'm guessing right or not.

• Members

Thanks for the info folks! So far I've picked up these pieces,

TC Electronic G-Major 2

Furman

KORG DTR1000 Rack Tuner

VOODOO Labs Ground Control Pro - MIDI Foot Controller

VOODOO Labs GCX Audio Switcher

I'm playing it through my DSL50 marshall head and loving the tones Im getting still need to add a few more pieces and switch to pre-amp/power amp set-up.

Im also thinking about a couple distortion boxes for the gcx loops like a tube screamer and maybe a big muff Pi for some lower to mid gain tones any suggestions?

Pics coming soon

Archived