ADA MP1, how to practice with headphones/record direct.

• Members

Hey

I am looking for a back up rig/an apartment rig. I was thinking of getting something along the lines of an MP1, a power amp for gig backup (art sla2 or a 20/20 or carvin t100), and a rack unit that would let me monitor the ADA with headphones for silent practice, and also has a poweramp/cab sim so I can record direct into my interface.

Any suggestions on the power amp I should get to run with it? this will become my jam rig/a backup rig so reliability is important/as well as weight and size.

Also what would you suggest as a solution for direct recording/headphone monitoring?

Regards!

• Members

Hey

I am looking for a back up rig/an apartment rig. I was thinking of getting something along the lines of an MP1, a power amp for gig backup (art sla2 or a 20/20 or carvin t100), and a rack unit that would let me monitor the ADA with headphones for silent practice, and also has a poweramp/cab sim so I can record direct into my interface.

Any suggestions on the power amp I should get to run with it? this will become my jam rig/a backup rig so reliability is important/as well as weight and size.

Also what would you suggest as a solution for direct recording/headphone monitoring?

Regards!

I bought a Rocktron Xpresion with the sole purpose of doing "direct-to-desk" demo recordings and low volume practicing. It does the job better than i expected :) everything on realdirtycurves.com is recorded directly with nothing but the mp-1 and xpression. Bass included :D

Otherwise - if you have to go cheap - you could disable the preamp section of a v-amp and use it as speaker emulator only.

• Members

I no longer have my MP-1, but did at one point, and set my rack rig up in a similar fashion. I use a Carvin T100 most of the time, but also have an old Rocktron Multi-Valve processor with cab simulation. Probably a bit primitive compared to the newer Xpression, and I haven't used it for direct recording in quite some time, but it sounded good direct to a board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What i use, and it sounds like a full amp and cab and records easily ect.

mp-1 into microcab II into alesis multimix8 usb 2.0, Lexicon mpx-1 in the Alesis effects loop for delays some parametric eq ect - relatively cheap and like i said sounds like a full miked half stack in headphones.:thu:

microcab is a must - or some kind of cab simulator - i prefer it hardware so i don't have to play thru my pc at all if i don't want to.

i could not get a better sound for me, it's so good i try to dial the same general tone and feel as close as possible with my band rig live, which is completely different equipment.

oh, and my mp-1 is a mod4mkII not stock, btw.

• Members

I'm using an ADA Depot 3TM "Ultra Mod" MP-1 preamp, Rocktron Replifex, and Mesa Boogie 20/20 Dynawatt power amp into a Peavey 2x12 stereo guitar cab. It's a rig I can dial up really low for home playing or I can take it out and play it a club. I'd recommend the ADA Microcab or a Hughes & Kettner Red Box for direct out recording. I use the Hughes & Kettner Red Box for live P.A. and recording to eliminate using microphones and not have to deal with a mike on a cabinet onstage. There is a new mod for the ADA Micro Cab that ADA Depot is offering. I'd check it out if you're interested.

Guitar George

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just got a stock Mp1(3 weeks ago) noise mods only already done. This is surprisingly clear for medium gain stuff and Plexi type tones. For writing and practice, sounds very good into a POD XT, modeling OFF ( setting is called "No Amp" in POD) using all the different cab emulations,delays,reverbs etc. and even post eq that is in there. Does NOT sound like a POD this way, definitely sounds like TUBES and very good into headphones. When I'm doing serious recording, I'll probably use both hardware filters ( Microcab, maybe Palmer ) or a prefilter and into the various cab impulses and digital emulations which should be superior to the POD XT-but the way I'm using it,sounds almost "Album Quality" now.

Archived