question about rack power amps

• Members

Hey, so i was wondering...

in a rack, after the preamp of course, does the power amp affect the outcome of your tone, Whether you buy it in Solid State, All Tube or a Hybrid?

And, if it does, which im assuming it will to some extent, which kind is the best when youve got, a 300$ budget and which is the best without any budget in mind..

Thanks

• Members

Yes. They affect the sound and just as importantly the feel much more than a lot of people think.

I don't know about which is 'best' etc as it's all subjective. I'm a fan of the peavey classic 50/50, stereo with el84 tubes and can be kinda cheap.

A lot of people swear by their mesas but they are not so cheap.

I've heard of reliablity problems with the marshall dual mono bloc but some people say they're great.

I'm sure some others will chime in with much more experience than me.

• Members

At around the $300 mark, the Peavey Classic 50/50 and Carvin T100 or TS100 are within your range and turn up fairly often on the used market. I prefer the 50/50 for live use, as it has level, presence and resonance controls right on the front panel. I use a T100 in my recording rig, as it's a little more transparent EQ-wise. It has volume controls on the front and presence on the back, but the newer TS100 has all controls on the front. The TS100 also lets you use EL34s on one side and 6L6s on the other.

Archived