ENGL E530!!!

• Members

Ive been in the market for a real mean and heavy tube amp to replace my solid state. I play in a tribal/death metal band so i only want the fattest, heaviest, sickest heart pounding tones. Someone recommended the ENGL E530 to me so i have a few questions and i was hoping you all could help me with it.

1. Does it come with a footswitch?

2. Is it capable of having an effects loop on/off switch on a pedal.

3. What tubes does it come with? (Ive been looking all around and it seems like no one knows or even cares to mention it lol)

I hope i get your answers soon, thanks for reading!

• Members

Ive been in the market for a real mean and heavy tube amp to replace my solid state. I play in a tribal/death metal band so i only want the fattest, heaviest, sickest heart pounding tones. Someone recommended the ENGL E530 to me so i have a few questions and i was hoping you all could help me with it.

1. Does it come with a footswitch?

2. Is it capable of having an effects loop on/off switch on a pedal.

3. What tubes does it come with? (Ive been looking all around and it seems like no one knows or even cares to mention it lol)

I hope i get your answers soon, thanks for reading!

1: no, but any type latching footswitch with trs connections will work.

2: no

3: 12ax7 / ecc83

• Members

thanks a lot bro,

it sucks pretty bad that you cant get a loop on/off switch =/

why wouldnt they?? thats all it needs in order to be pretty much the most perfect preamp

except for that i also heard it doesnt have much bottom end to it, which is essential in any serious kind of metal .

• Members

thanks a lot bro,

it sucks pretty bad that you cant get a loop on/off switch =/

why wouldnt they?? thats all it needs in order to be pretty much the most perfect preamp

except for that i also heard it doesnt have much bottom end to it, which is essential in any serious kind of metal .

Mine has plenty of bottom. It depends alot on the power amp and speakers as well, but with my old mesa 50/50 and 4x12 with vintage 30's it sounds killer!

I find it necessary to boost it a bit with an overdrive pedal to get it real raunchy, but i guess it's because i'm using passive pickups..

• Members

No footswitch comes with it but you can get a Voodoo Man footswitch for really cheap. As mentioned, no foot-switchable effects loop. It will either come with mysterious Engl-branded 12AX7 tubes (2 of them) or JJ branded ones. I heard Engl switched to JJ tubes on newer ones they're now shipping. If you get one that doesn't have JJs in it, get two and replace them. The e530 can get kind of icepick-to-the-ears sounding with some tubes and JJs really mellowed mine out. Lots of guys on sevenstring.org agree about theirs.

I don't know who told you they don't have enough low end. That's kind of silly. It has plenty. For a high gain amp meant to play really fast tech-metal, you can't have TONS of low-end anyway or you'll flub-up the sound and lose that tightness. Also, this is easily the tightest and driest playing piece of guitar equipment I've ever touched, by far. Superb for some styles, horrible for other styles. For death metal, it'd be superb and a steal for what they sell for.

• Members

No footswitch comes with it but you can get a Voodoo Man footswitch for really cheap. As mentioned, no foot-switchable effects loop. It will either come with mysterious Engl-branded 12AX7 tubes (2 of them) or JJ branded ones. I heard Engl switched to JJ tubes on newer ones they're now shipping. If you get one that doesn't have JJs in it, get two and replace them. The e530 can get kind of icepick-to-the-ears sounding with some tubes and JJs really mellowed mine out. Lots of guys on sevenstring.org agree about theirs.

I don't know who told you they don't have enough low end. That's kind of silly. It has plenty. For a high gain amp meant to play really fast tech-metal, you can't have TONS of low-end anyway or you'll flub-up the sound and lose that tightness. Also, this is easily the tightest and driest playing piece of guitar equipment I've ever touched, by far. Superb for some styles, horrible for other styles. For death metal, it'd be superb and a steal for what they sell for.

The "mysterious Engl-branded 12AX7 tubes" were - at least in my case - rebranded sovteks, and sounded fine. i swapped the input tube (v1) to v2 position and threw a low noise jj in v1's place. Hello awesomeness!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The 1.5W power-amp i the one driving the headphones out. I suppose you could split the TRS stereo-out connection to two mono outputs and connect one of them to a dummy load.

I'm not even sure that the one side would need a dummy load, but i suppose the reason they mention the fried amp, is that you might fry it if you connect the cab with a TS jack...

I also have a question.... Is there a way to connect it directly to a 16ohm mono cab? I'm not intrerested in getting a power amp yet. The pdf manual says you need to have a stereo connection or you could risk frying one of the 1.5w power amps?

• Members

What styles would you say it'd be horrible for?

• Members

What styles would you say it'd be horrible for?

Something where you want rich, roaring saturation and low end, I guess. This would sound a bit lifeless next to some other amps out there, then. Like I think the style of music that calls for a cranked Orange OR120 probably wouldn't sound as great through an E530 but that may just be my opinion..

• Members

Something where you want rich, roaring saturation and low end, I guess. This would sound a bit lifeless next to some other amps out there, then. Like I think the style of music that calls for a cranked Orange OR120 probably wouldn't sound as great through an E530 but that may just be my opinion..

Oh ok, thanks man. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Had one and got rid of it. Did some good things, but I had one beef. The mid control on the clean side was worthless. I used it with several power amps and it was basically, a dead knob. You could turn it 360, and get virtually no change in tone. That pissed me off enough to get rid of it.

The good stuff? Well, it had a very useable and tweakable gain channel. Great for all kinds of metal. Very modern Marshall-y, but better. Plenty of gain with gain to spare. Dialed back, it had a decent (C+) lo-gain blues/crunch tone. The clean side had plenty of headroom and had a decent tone, just no tweakability with the mids. Built well, too.

• Members

The mid control on the clean side was worthless. I used it with several power amps and it was basically, a dead knob. You could turn it 360, and get virtually no change in tone. That pissed me off enough to get rid of it.

Did you try to replace the pot? ;) Apart from that, i totally agree with you...

• Members

Did you try to replace the pot?
;)

Naw, never did that. I practice, tweak and play. I'm a TOTAL schmootz with a soldering iron. I thought about taking it to a amp guy in town, but I didn't want to sink anymore into it as I also need a very reactive, dynamic low gain dumble kind of thing out of my pre. And the 530 didn't do that. I'm finding out that there isn't anything tube on the market right now that does higher gain and that pick sensitive dumble thing.:mad: I wanna be able to pick lightly, and have it be clean, then dig in and get some gain/grit. Not just with the vol knob, but with the pick a la Carlton and Ford.

And also have the ability to do balls/crunch and shred a la Satch. And a warm and sparkling clean tone. Am I asking too much? Oh, and I also want it in stereo.:blah: I'm such a bitch....

Archived