Fractal's AxeEfx Anybody using one?

3shiftgtr

• Members

Man, this thing is getting raves. Which makes me wary of the kool-aid, knowhatimsayin? I haven't bought one yet and I'm on the fence. I'd have to sell some gear and save up, and keep wifey comfy about the purchase. And this thing ain't cheap. But the only reason I spend any of my cash and time in the life sucking vortex that is rackland, is STEREO TONE. Once you get hooked, your in...and I'm in.

But I'm reading that to get the most out of the unit, you need to use FRFR (flat range,full response) speakers. I haven't bought one yet and I'm on the fence. I was hoping to get it and run it thru a couple of my power amps and cabs and see what works best, but no one seems to do that. They all run FRFR. And they say that live cabs (JBL Eon for example) don't work very well as you need smooth drivers or the high end will get harsh and crunchy. Apparently the cab sims are super specific. Lotsa guys run it into a studio power amp and some studio speakers...for live work. Trying to grasp what that looks like. I play for a living, and the world of gigging isn't too friendly to that kind of stuff....:cop:

In the studio, I do know the thing is amazing. I did a hip hop session one day and came back to the same studio to do a roots thing the next, and the engineer insisted I run through it for both sessions. Iz blown away to say the least. That's what got me interested. Sounded way better than any direct recording device I'd ever used, and the efx were drool worthy.:love: I'd certainly use it for studio stuff, but I do A LOT of live work from bars to big stages, and I need it for that too.

Also, sheesh, were talking like around 2.5g's depending on what unit you get, and then I've got to futz around with another 2 g's looking for a suitable FRFR system? Does any one have any luck running it into a power amp , (Mesa 50/50, or a 2:90, or a Peavey 50/50) into some stereo guitar cabs (genz benz gflex, or 4x12 w/ v-30's)? Do any of you giggers out there use this thing as a primary in your rig? Howzit workin for ya?

Thanks for your help. This indecision is killin' me!

• Members

I just sold mine. A Standard version. The only reason is that I got a PRS guitar in trade. I will buy another some day. I had a Fuchs ODS and Bogner Duende that I sold to get it. I do not miss those amps as cool as they were. It is all that most say that it is. I am waiting on my PRS to arrive.

• Members

Lots of AxeFx threads on THG and HRI.

But I wonder: why a stage setup when you can run this thing with InEar monitors?

Yeah, I've read thru tons of threads, but HC folks seem to be a bit more, I dunno, normal?

And as far as the in ear thing goes, cool...if I'm out with an artist and I get the same monitor guy night in and night out (that is part of the appeal)....but I don't always have that luxury, so I need am amp/speaker set up too.

• Members

What are you using in it's place and how did you amp it?

thanks

I powered it with a Carvin DCM 600. They don't make that particular wattage anymore, but a 150, & 1000 are available.

I ran it through a pair of Bose stereo speakers and used the cab sims. You might laugh, but I didn't have 700-1000 dollars to buy a nice FRFR powered speaker system so I used those Bose speakers. It just didn't sound as good through my three different 2/12 cabinets so the Bose set up won out.

I bought a Vox AC4 combo with an Eminence speaker in it.

• Members

I powered it with a Carvin DCM 600.

I ran it through a pair of Bose stereo speakers and used the cab sims.

Thanks Thirsty...

one more question, sir...did you gig out with it? If so, what was the reaction? Did U disable the sims when you used it thru the 2x12 cabs?

Ok., that was more than one question, sorry.

• Members

I've used my AxeFX live quite a bit as the only unit for preamp/effects and have ran it with both a VHT 2/90/2 and with two Crate Powerblocks (for weight reduction).

It worked AWESOME for both.

You might be able to get 'more' out of it by using FRFR and in-ears, but I wasn't ready for that much of a change, I like big loud guitars that I can feel when I play...

Previously, my rig was Egnater M4->G-Major->VHT-GFlex2x12's --- sounded awesome...

Then I did a bunch of gigs with the AxeFX->CratePowerblocks->one GFlex for simplicity, less gear and all that - just as awesome with better effects and more tonal options and better control via Midi CC for wah/volume/whammy.

I'm now running guitar-> AxeFX In, AxeFX Send to Bogner XTC Classic Input

Bogner FX Send to AxeFX Return, AxeFX Out to Bogner FX Return.

There's more going on, but this is the jist of it...this way, I can use either the AxeFX OR the Bogner preamp tones thru the AxeFX effects (pre or post) and run thru the Bogner power section.

• Members

Jimosity,

Thanks for your input, I've been curious about using this thing as just a pre/efx. Your one of the few who runs it that way. And nice mod work, too. I have a road dog pal who has come across a few of your pedal mods, and he's flipped for em'.:thu:

One Question....in your estimation, is it really that much better than the Line6 top of the line stuff?

Thanks

• Members

Jimosity,

Thanks for your input, I've been curious about using this thing as just a pre/efx. Your one of the few who runs it that way. And nice mod work, too. I have a road dog pal who has come across a few of your pedal mods, and he's flipped for em'.
:thu:

One Question....in your estimation, is it really that much better than the Line6 top of the line stuff?

Thanks

Thanks man.

Line 6 should not be mentioned in the same breath as AxeFX.

It's like comparing Behringer to Bogner....

Archived