What du you know about Palmer DI recording units?

grrrunge

• Members

I've been looking into buying either two of these:

http://www.adamhall.com/uk/AH_K--Speaker-Simulator-ADIG-LB-with-Loadbox__p--project_27__b--PGA04

Or one of these:

http://www.adamhall.com/uk/AH_K--Stereo-DI-Box-Speakersimulator__p--project_27__b--PGA05

But i can't find much info about them other than the obvious stuff on their own website.

Do you know stuff about these suckers, that'll make me buy them or change my mind - please chime in.

If you know about better alternatives for direct recording, that will let me use my current pre- and power amps, then give me a heads up as well...

I would rather not have suggestions about (more) digital gear, as i've got enough of that stuff already - unless you know about something really crazy cool.

I know about the axe-fx already, but as stated above - it's digital and way too expensive/feature-packed to use only for cab-sims in lousy demos ;)

• Members

I've used them in the studio b-4. They beat the hell out of any plug ins (ampfarm) or direct stuff (pods etc) I've used before. Can't give you specifics such as model etc. cuz it belonged to the studios, but I remember it was a palmer load box, and it was the best 'non-mic'ed' sound I'd ever gotten in the studio. They are expensive (checked em' briefly at Namm shows), but the 2 that I've used get a thumbs up.:thu:

One thing: I'm not a BBE Sonic max guy, but BOTH engineers asked if I had one in my rack. They loved em with the Palmer. Couldn't tell ya why first hand cuz I didn't (and don't) have one. I've got some other things to buy for my studio before I get one, but it is on my list.

• Members

I have experience with the Palmer PDI-09. It sounded decent with a Peavey Rockmaster preamp, but, without a power amp stage or emulation thereof, something always seemed to be lacking. I currently use a Behringer V-Amp Pro in S3 mode (with the preamp bypassed) and am more satisfied with the results. Though certain aspects of the design are iffy, it sounds more open than the Palmer unit did and offers many more routing options.

• Members

I used the PDI-09 for quite awhile for live stuff. Sounded great and had some flexibility in regards to filter settings. Breeze to set up, just plug and go. It is a only a DI however, you still need a load if you are running a power amp through it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

i am soooooo much waiting to hear this..!

I've been absolutely swamped tonight but I finally got it hooked up. First impressions, I really really like it. Ada MP1/Marshall JMP-1 into a fully cranked Mesa 50/50 into the Palmer blows away any modelling device ive ever heard. I do need to EQ some patches for the Palmer so I'm prob gonna wait till Saturday when I have my G-Major 2 to put up some clips.

• Members

So heres something quick: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3d1ec29c807b03dbe7ba8e3c6e11ce2000232a11f582298c6d217c73094ddc3b

Things to note:

(1) This clip is only 40 seconds long.

(2) I only made it to make sure my new installation of Cubase 5 was working so dont be expecting anything too musical.

(3) There is no bass in it

(4) I have been too busy working/installing Windows 7 to get around to making patches for the Palmer/G-Major 2. What you are hearing is the first preset on the G-Major 2 and a patch I use for live work on my JMP1.

(5) There is too much gain on the rhythm guitars which makes them kinda fuzzy. This is because the poweramp is cranked which is seriously increasing the gain :D I seriously need to sit down and work out some patches for this.

All in all I love the Palmer. Ive taken the next week off work some expect some proper clips in the next few days :)

Archived