Help me. I have not a clue!

88mm

• Members

I am throwing around the idea of getting a preamp.

I find that i always want a different sound and the amps I have are not really versitla on the fly type of amps.

I was thinking of either jmp-1 or ada mp-1

? is

I have an old Sunn Model T i would like to use and also a Laney AOR 50 for my power amp

Can one use a preamp in front of an amp or does always need an effects loop?

also can one use effects in front of a pre amp?

Like Fuzz types, wahs, vibes and so on?

-

The Basic sounds I would like are Marshall Cleans ( John Frusciante'ish)

To Classic PLexi 'ish type sound Jim

to AC/DC Crunch

-

I don't need super high gain/ but would like to goose the front end with a fuzz or overdrive. ( I like FUZZ!)

-

anyway sorry for the ramble but any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

• Members

I like my Marshall JMP-1 and find it quite versatile on the fly via midi. The sounds you mentioned are very possible with the JMP-1. Of couse everything else in your chain colors the sound.

On to your questions:

1. Can one use a preamp in front of an amp or does always need an effects loop?

I would say no. Others here will be able to give you a definite answer. The effects loop is chained between the preamp & the power amp. So, one could plug a preamp into an amp's effects return and use it's power amp. (if there is and effects mix control, one could mix the two preamps or dial the mix to 100% and just use the out-board preamp).

2. also can one use effects in front of a pre amp? Like Fuzz types, wahs, vibes and so on?

Sure.

I don't have much wisdom, (that will probably end up in someone's sig) but here is a chunk to get the ball rolling.:wave:

• Members

Thanks.

I am curious how Fuzz Face types (and others) interact with preamps such as the JMP-1

Does it interact as well as say a "normal" pre.

-

So what you saying is also not recomended to plug a pre into the frt end of and amp. That it's best to use an effects loop?

-

Thanks for the help!

anyone else care to add?

• Members

Well, the JMP is a "normal" tube preamp.

About the front vs. effectsloop. Your amp have a preamp and a poweramp, normally with an effectsloop between them in the back. So; you want to use the poweramp-section of your amp, plugging your guitar into the input of the JMP and the output from the JMP into the effects return. That way you can use the poweramp-section.

The normal way however, is buying a rackmounted poweramp and plug your preamp into that.

And as far as plugging the JMP into the front of an amp; that would be plugging a preamp into a preamp. As far as I know, it won't do any harm, but the last preamp will dictate the sound, meaning that there will be little point in the JMP.

• Members

So how do dirt/fuzz pedals and wahs sound into preamps

like the ADA mp1 adn the JMP1?

Do they interact well?

It should be exactly the same as any other type guitar tube-amp, as the principles in the audio path construction are the same too...

The only way to find out, is to try them out, and see how you like it.

Archived