Good USB/MIDI Interface?

• Members

I was curious if any of you guys save your patches with soundquest or another program?

I have a Beringher FCB 1010 and I can't program it or my rack with my computer because my cheap USB/MIDI interface does not work.

I was wondering what you guys use that actually does work

• Members

I use a MOTU MTP AV. It's a monster and a pain to initially set up for use with Windows.

I'm guessing your interface is a single port, i.e., just a USB cable to single MIDI in and MIDI out cables? And do you have your devices daisy-chained? If so, you probably don't have a problem with your interface.

If you want to program your devices with a computer, you can't daisy-chain them. They must be on separate ports if you want to keep them connected to your computer at all times. Otherwise, you could just connect each of them individually when you want to program them from the computer.

• Members

By 'loop', do you mean--

1. USB-MIDI out cable --> MIDI in on FCB1010

2. MIDI out/thru on FCB1010 --> MIDI in on Rack Device

3. MIDI out/thru on Rack Device --> MIDI in cable on USB-MIDI?

If this is how you have it connected, this won't work for programming. BTW, this is called a daisy-chain connection.

To program them with what you've got, you'll need to connect it--

1. USB-MIDI cable out --> MIDI in on FCB1010

2. MIDI out/thru on FCB1010 --> MIDI in on USB-MIDI

to program the FCB1010

and then re-connect it--

1. USB-MIDI cable out --> MIDI in on Rack Device

2. MIDI out/thru on Rack Device --> MIDI in on USB-MIDI

to program your Rack Device

before re-connecting--

1. FCB1010 MIDI out/thru --> MIDI in on Rack Device

You can't program both of them at the same time with any 1x1 interface (1 in, 1 out); you'd need a 2x2 interface. And to continue to use the FCB1010 to control your rack, the interface would have to function as a MIDI patch bay.

BTW, I don't know if any 2x2 interfaces work as MIDI patch bays, as I've never used one.

Edit: I looked up some 2x2 interfaces. It looks like all I can find are USB-powered ones, which means the computer will have to be on for them to work. If so, the software should allow for patchbay use, even if the hardware doesn't have the capability. However, I haven't verified this, so don't take my word for it.

• Members

I did

"1. USB-MIDI cable out --> MIDI in on FCB1010

2. MIDI out/thru on FCB1010 --> MIDI in on USB-MIDI

to program the FCB1010"

and it did not work with either ripwerx or the other fcb 1010 editor

Did you initialize the FCB1010 to recieve midi?

I went with the UNO chip in mine and it made it alot better,but I remember having a bit of tap dancing to get it where it would accept midi input from ripwerx( thats what I use also)

If you haven't done the UNO chip upgrade then I suggest it.

I can go from FCB >Voodu Valve>G-Major>Edirol UMG-1>FCB in a continuous loop and program them all with my software.

Try Here for more info.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/

Archived