My new rack build is complete

Hood00

• Members

With this site being down for so long, I took the time to finish off my rack.

In it are :

Phonic mains distributer/conditioner, Digitech GSP1101, Peavey Rockmaster preamp, Korg tuner and Peavey classic 60 amp.

After sorting out an annoying ground loop problem, it is sounding amazing! The Gsp1101 and Rockmaster work very well together. (I have the 1101 in amp connection mode)

rack.jpg

im off to make some sweet noise:thu:

• Members

At the moment, Im using the stock Rockmaster footswitch for switching, but I intend to get something like the behringer FCB1010, which has 2 relay controlled outputs for switching amp channels.

With a little bit of modification, it will be able to switch the clean,crunch and ultra channels on the rockmaster, and control all the midi patches on the GSP1101. I can give you more details on this if you want?

I have the 1101 in amp input/effects loop mode, so it can emulate stomp boxes before the input of the rockmaster (which are surprisingly good), and also put delay,etc in the common loop. I was originally thinking about putting a rack EQ in the clean loop, because that was what I used to do to improve the clean channel, but after trying this rig out, I dont think it needs it. There are just so many things you can tweak with the GSP1101.

I am using the rockmaster for all the preamp sounds, I am not using any of the 1101's modeled amps.

• Members

How did you mount the power amp? I have a 120/120 and it's HEAVY like 80 lbs at least. I'm scared it'll break the screws. Btw. I think anything with tubes should go on top. Just basically the heat will fry other stuff above it with the current setup if it ever gets really hot.

• Members

How did you mount the power amp? I have a 120/120 and it's HEAVY like 80 lbs at least. I'm scared it'll break the screws. Btw. I think anything with tubes should go on top. Just basically the heat will fry other stuff above it with the current setup if it ever gets really hot.

I have a 120/120 and I always put it on the bottom.it never seemed to get too hot

• Members

Won't that make your rack tippy?? I've always kept my heavy {censored} on the bottom for that very reason. Never had any heat troubles with my 60/60. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

The power amp is not that heavy because its the 1 channel mono version, it has a big fan at the back of it that im pretty sure will keep it cool enough, and I put the tuner above it on purpose, because it is very narrow and does not block any of the amps vents.

The rack case is very,very tough and can easily take the weight. It is an ex-army case that I got cheap from an army surplus place, and just painted it (was tempted to keep the army colours). It can even float on water when it has the front and back covers on! (not tried that yet)

The rockmaster preamp does get hot, and I was worried about the gsp1101 frying, but if you notice, there is a small gap between the preamp and digitech, which lets airflow through. I will keep an eye on it though, and install a rear fan if things do get too hot in there.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Members

Nice Peavey gear! :thu: I have a Rockmaster and a Classic 50/50. I'm quite happy with both. :)

Personally, I prefer to mount the power amp on the bottom just so the the rack isn't so top-heavy.

I think you'll be fine with regards to heat.

• Members

Thanks mate :thu:

I have had an on off love affair with Peavey gear over the years, but I always seem to come back to them!. The tone you get from them for what they cost is amazing. Bomb proof as well. Mine have been chucked about for years.

I always wanted a 50/50, but they are very hard to come by in the UK nowdays it seems (or I have been unlucky). The Classic 60 drives my 4x12 nicely :)

Archived